+ Reply to Thread

Thread: body work materials

body work materials

Hi.
    we are first year team. we want to know what materials can be used for body.
    we now decide to use fiberglass or maybe composite.
    what do you suggest?
    mr. Amin Farzaneh

Our first car also had a Bodywork of Fiberglass reinforced plastics. I would say, any Resin-Fibre-mix would work but glass fibres and cellulose are common.
    Many teams switch to Carbon fibre reinforced plastics (-> Alternative Frame Rules) instead of a steel frame with separate bodywork after some years.

Kydex plastic. Extremely cheap, pretty easy to work with and weighs approximately nothing.

-Matt
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

What school/country are you from? It depends really what is most available/country in your area to be honest.
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FS Ravens Racing - Powertrain Dev. 2014
    CU FS Ravens Racing - Team Lead/Tooling 2013/2014
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead 2011/2012

There was a UK team at some point using plastic "cardboards" zip-tied to their spaceframe, something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...8?N=5yc1vZbrdg
    Cheap as hell, minimum effort to build (you need to cut triangles and fit them between tubes), good-looking if you like angled X-Bow-like bodyworks, easily replaceable, lightweight.

The plastic corrigaded board is good and cheap, plus you can heat up and round around tubes. Fiberglass and composites are easy but you are going to spend alot of time on molds for the car before layup
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013

thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Simactive View Post
    What school/country are you from? It depends really what is most available/country in your area to be honest.
    I'm from Iran , Ferdowsi university of Mashhad.

Cool,

Well to be honest not sure what is openly available there but corrugated plastic board works well and can heat form. Use some good paint and primer and it'll look awesome.

Another would be just fiberglass body panels but will take a while to make the molds. The bigger question is......do you actually need it?

We used a couple layers of heat shrinking material normally used on remote controlled airplanes last year on our tube frame car. Worked remarkably well.
    WWU FSAE
    2010-2011 Chassis/Welder
    2011-2012 Tech Director
    2012-2014 Project Manager/Welder

+ Reply to Thread