+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ricardo WAVE experiment problems.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Ricardo WAVE experiment problems.

Hi everyone,
    I'm having problems running a WAVE experiment to change lengths of runner and exhaust system components. The model runs perfectly well and provides a true to life base line, but when I run the experiment I either receive :

"Summary file data does not exist for: followed by a list of run speeds and then "There is insufficient data for curve fitting"
    or
    A fitted curve which I can adjust, but which has negative units. For example torque negative, power negative. Like the engine was not being fuelled.

I have tried various min and max lengths and while this avoid the first error the second refuses to budge.

This is my first time using WAVE any tips/advice/solution would be fantastic.

I've e-mail Ricardo, but have can't received a working answer.

Hi mellink,

1. Who are you and where are you from?
    2. Have you done the tutorials? I found it best to do the tutes and then build up from there
    3. How do you know that you are getting a true to life base line when you are failing to get results?
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Hi Jay,
    I'm a student from Lancaster race team
    .I've done the tutorials.
    And I know the starting model is about right because I've compared it to the dyno results of the power unit and it works fine. Its just as soon as I start using the experiment functions.
    Ty R

Mellink, I replied over on r/FSAE as well but try deleting whatever experimental run files are in the folder (should be a ton of files that begin with "speed") and run it again. Sometimes Wave gets confused by old data and tries to interpret it instead of running again. If it continues to give you trouble try uploading some screenshots of your Wave setup and I'll see if everything looks reasonably normal.
    Rensselaer Motorsport (RPI)
    Engine, Drivetrain, Electrical Lead 2012-2014
    Mechanical Engineering

Have you had any luck?
    Rensselaer Motorsport (RPI)
    Engine, Drivetrain, Electrical Lead 2012-2014
    Mechanical Engineering

Hi,
    Nope I have no luck getting it to work fully. Depending on what variable I ask it to vary I can get an output, but I can't get it to do runner length without throwing the list of speed files error message.
    I deleted all of the temporary files I could find, same result.
    This is what my file looks like. It's a simple 1 cylinder engine, with 12:1 compression and cam measurements which have been altered to match the engine.
    Thanks again for your help.

Screenshot 2014-02-23 17.42.18.jpgScreenshot 2014-02-23 17.42.26.jpg

High quality links :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ico028okq...2017.42.26.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p56hiwmpa...2017.42.18.png
    Last edited by mellink; 02-23-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: images were scaled to a low quality

mellink,

It's been 5 years since I've used it so the memory is blurry, but have you tried changing the injector location? It's currently somewhere in the Runner element, which is the element causing you problems.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Hi Jay,
    I've experimented with moving it around and I'll try putting it elsewhere today.
    Thanks R

On a slight other note/query
    When setting up a WAVE experiment for runner length. If I do from 30mm to 130mm it gives only 4 points: 130, 30,63.33, 96.66 is that enough? Should I not be looking to increase this?

After moving the injector. It runs, but as last time it shows the engine is basically a pump. If I run the model outside of Experiment mode. I get good torque/power curves.

Example of negative figures:
    https://db.tt/jAwIOihB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast