+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabricating a frame with high accuracy

Fabricating a frame with high accuracy

Hi!
    We are a new and inexperienced team. We have just begun the frame fabrication process and have a difficult time trying to get the perfect angle cuts for the side members which have to be welded to the main hoops. I want to know how do you guys go about in fabricating the frame? Do you start building the base first or set up the main hoops on a jig and then build the vehicle around it? Also a little help would be appreciated on how we should get the mounting of the side members perfectly. Laser cutting of pipes isn't possible right now. We are just simply attaching the side members and grinding it until it looks a little acceptable, although with huge gaps.

And you are?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

What is the meaning of life?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

I am sure I have read somewhere where pat or Claude has explained every thing. Use search! Or Google it.

Regarding mounting of tubes, its completely based on design and you imagination to find appropriate method to build up chassis.

Oh and SS tubes!
    I remember, in our college, in another project , they used SS steel to make tri cycle. I wonder what reason they gave to judges for choosing SS
    Last edited by Ashir; 02-10-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    *All my views are my own and doesn't represent my team's*

Ashir
    Team Fateh
    Thapar University, Patiala

Siverbolt,

This is, again, sorry, another Indian question. "Give me the method, the paper with the blanks to fill, the "recipe" and I will follow what you tell me to do".

Get out of the loop which has been imposed by your dogmatic education system. BE a CREATOR , not a FOLLOWER.

Use you R&I, your Ressources (one of them being Google and some many good threads of this website) and your Imagination. Come with specific not generic questions.

Use critical thinking.

Wake up!

Your question is so large that it cannot be answered is in just in just a few lines. That is why I wrote "what is the meaning of life?" which a question just as large as yours and that cannot be answered unless YOU do make at least a first step.

A good example of a first step would be to tell what YOU think that you should / could do to start a chassis manufacturing. Another one is to tell us what your seniors team mate do not like in your actual chassis design. Why don't you show it here? And also why did you chose Stainless Steel? Too much money?

See previous threads where it is explained that a chassis is just a big bracket and that it doesn't make sense to start drawing it unless you have a clear ideas of the other main components and of course the rules book.

What in the hell do we have to write the same thing again and again for people who do not take the time to inform themselves and assemble the needful (hey that is an Indian common word) documentation.

Last one. A chassis is made of tubes not pipes. You would know that if you would have read some of the threads in this forum.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Sliverbolt,

I just Googled "designing and manufacturing a FSAE Formula Student chassis and Jigs" I got more than I could ever have imagined in documents and in pictures.

What else do you now need? Silver spoon feeding? Diaper change?

Move on!
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Sorry, I wish I had better primary education which did not involve so much spoon feeding.

I (and I bet a few other readers of this forum) was expecting a more proactive reaction. You now switch to victimization.

You do have access to the tools to give your self a better education.

But you need to show intelligent first steps (Intelligence is not knowledge or experience: intelligence is the ability to solve a problem you never met before. How intelligent are you? How daring are you to try more elaborate questions?)

OK let's be constructive: what are going to do about this? What is next action plan? Lets say you start from scratch: how would you reformulate your questions?

And by the way what are your answers about what your senior team (do they know better and why, how?) do not like and why you use Stainless Steel? Why don't you publish on this forum a few pictures or drawings of your chassis and its jig: you will have tons of reaction (some of them you won't like to read, but, hey, you won't make omelets without braking eggs) but you will learn a lot.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbolt View Post
    Sorry, forgot to introduce my team.
    We are OMR Racing, based in Chennai. We are participating in FSAE Italy this year. We have absolutely no knowledge of proper fabrication. Our frame is made of Stainless Steel(SS 202). Most of the senior team mates aren't satisfied with our approach towards building the frame. It's more like we're using guesswork and thumb rules to cut the pipes. Help would be appreciated!
    Not to be a dick or anything but what guesswork and rule of thumbs are you using to build the frame?

Is it already designed and simulated or are you designing by the seat of your pants? (One works better than the other)

If you can answer Claude's questions a lot of us will read it could help out or well at least point you in the right direction. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Also I am really interested to see your pictures and set-up. Please share!
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FS Ravens Racing - Powertrain Dev. 2014
    CU FS Ravens Racing - Team Lead/Tooling 2013/2014
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead 2011/2012

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast