+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CBR500R... a new engine for FSAE?

CBR500R... a new engine for FSAE?

Many have theorized that twins are the perfect compromise. Anyone expect to see this engine at 2015 comps?

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb...ions/dohc.aspx

The stock CBR500R apparently makes less than 50 HP, which is less than typical 450cc singles. There are several other parallel twin engines under 600cc in production but they're also pretty weak, which is unfortunate because I suspect that a parallel twin may offer a better power/weight ratio than inline four and single cylinder engines given our displacement restrictions. The Yamaha Phazer is one powerful exception, but it is a snowmobile engine (no gearbox). I don't think there is any technical reason why a powerful parallel twin engine can't be made for a motorcycle, but this graphic from Honda's website leads me to believe the reason they don't exist might be marketing:

Honda_Engine_Marketing.jpg

Suzuki revealed a parallel twin motorcycle with a turbo late last year (The Recursion). It's still a concept, but they're advertising 100 HP at 8,000 RPM and 74 ft-pounds at 4,500 RPM. To legally use this engine in FSAE, you would have to replace the turbo with a different turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhealthy_FSAE_Addiction View Post
    ...The Yamaha Phazer is one powerful exception, but it is a snowmobile engine (no gearbox)...
    Many would argue that this is a great thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mech5496 View Post
    Many would argue that this is a great thing...
    Agreed, CVT

I read about this engine a while back, and from what I read the the engine makes exactly 47 hp so that they can meet Europe A2 license regulations. That does not mean that there is not more power to be had in this engine with a little tuning....
    Callen Schmalz
    SDSM&T Formula SAE
    Drivetrain/Corners Lead - 2012-2014

The bike is within a few pounds of a 600RR, so it appears that the engine makes almost as much power as a 450 at almost the weight of a 600.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Mbirt View Post
    The bike is within a few pounds of a 600RR, so it appears that the engine makes almost as much power as a 450 at almost the weight of a 600.
    But their also two completely different bikes, as Callen pointed out, the 500R is a new entry level bike to fit the new A2 license. The 500R has a steel frame compared to the aluminium on the 600RR and so on. It's supposed to be a cheap bike both to own and buy for entry level riders.
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

The engine is probably limited by the ECU, I don't see any reason why a skilled team couldn't squeeze more than those claimed 42 horses from it. Usually, teams make more than stock torque from a PC37 as well, just that they're effectively rev-limited by the restrictor...

And btw @JSR: They're, not their ;-)
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Now: Scruitineer, Design Judge, application engineer @Altair engineering

Whatever you do, do it hard!

There's a CBR500R engine for sale on fleabay for only $800. For half the price of a 450 cc thumper, someone should buy it and see what they can squeeze out of it!

With that said, I really don't have hope for it weighing less than 90 lb. According to internet sources, the Ninja 250 (EX-250) weighs about 90 lb, the EX-500 is rumored to be around 115 lb, along with the SV-650 and Ninja 650R (ER-6) in the 115+ lb range. The Rotax 600 ACE weighs 88 lb and it's CVT primary+secondary+belt are an extra 20 lb.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

Two questions for the engine experts out there. The cbr500r has a bore/stroke ratio of ~1. The 600cc inline fours and 450 singles which are popular in our series have bore/stroke ratios of over 1.5. The stock redline is 8,500rpm on the cbr500r. Is the low bore/stroke ratio a limiting factor in preventing us from making more power at higher speeds with this engine?

Also. The compression ratio is advertised as 10.7 which is also relatively low. Is this a deal breaker? Does it position the engine for a turbo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast