+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing differential (TORSEN?)

Question Choosing differential (TORSEN?)

Hey guys! I'm from Brazil and I'd like to know if any of you can help me with this.
    I did some research about differentials trying to choose the better one, but I found
    a lot of diferent opinions about the issue. We have a very low budget and as we live
    in Brazil, we're gonna have to import the differential, so the cost must be very accessible.
    In our past year car we used a open differential but as we found at the research the open
    differential is not able to distribute the torque as we need. Anyway, we found that the
    torsen differential would be the best for us but we'd like your opinion.
    Sry for the bad english and thanks for your attention,
    Fênix Racing team.

I hate to sound like Z here, but you don't necessarily need a diff. You would probably surprised with how well you could do with a spool as long as you design with that in mind from the start, I know Monash ran one for many years and did pretty well. However, if you are set on running a diff, there are options out there. The Torsen University Special is a good option, and with a custom housing, can actually be pretty light. Another option is running an ATV diff. If you look around, some of the ATVs in Brazil may have one that can work for you. I know there are some teams here in the US that do this last option. But before we go that far, you might want to define best? What about the Torsen makes it the best opposed to other options?
    Callen Schmalz
    SDSM&T Formula SAE
    Drivetrain/Corners Lead - 2012-2014

There are some good used Taylor Diffs out there. I just sent a text to a good buddy of mine to see if he still has one. Please send me an e mail if I can help you with drawings and tech documents.
    Here is my e mail scotty@taylor-race.com and here is our facebook page,
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/FSAE-...39126679471784
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the replies, It really helped... we've decided that we're gonna use the TORSEN diff (the special for fsae). The only thing that we're gonna have to work with is the diff housing cause we want to seal it, once we need to lubricate the diff.
    Once again, thanks for your attention!
    Fênix Racing

I have tulip style stub axles as well as 86mm stubs for the Torsen , They have extra long spline so you can cut them to fit. If you need drawings let me know .. Part numbers 02004181 or 0200418...
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

watch out

Hey fxrtransmissao,

With the Torsen, carefully spend time thinking how will you transfer torque from the ring gear to the torsen housing.

The Torsen is a pretty "cheap" solution that can cost you a lot (in reliability) if you do not design this well.

Good luck!

JP

Arrow Ok.

jpusb, thanks for the advise and we're really thinking about it.
    Well, as you came up with this issue, is it possible to use those roles at the side of the diff housing to couple the ring gear?
    I'm asking you because we did a test with the solidworks and looks like the gear wouldn't handle the torque. Anyway,
    we're studying here trying to understand the better way. Thx for att.

+ Reply to Thread