+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CBR500R... a new engine for FSAE?

the average piston speed at 8,500 rpm is 18,9 m/s so there should be room for higher rpms.
    increasing the compression ratio shouldn't be too difficult considering the relatively large stroke.

It's been interesting seeing the responses. Here are some of my thoughts (Unhealthy_FSAE_Addiction, this may answer your questions):

On their site they specify that this engine has 'the same bore as the CBR600RR'. That phrase combined with the very similar sidecover make me think this engine is built off of the 600RR. I assume that it's 2 cylinders from a 600RR (that puts it down to 300cc) stroked back out to the bore/stroke ratio of 1 (and now we're at 500cc). That's good and bad news. It means 600RR aftermarket pistons will fit, solving the compression ratio problem, and there may be some crossover in the head area (valves, springs, cut a 600RR camshaft in half, etc). The bad news is that the engine will probably not be as light as it could be.

The teams that run singles and go lightweight will most likely see little to no benefit in this engine. But the teams that currently run 4 cylinders might be able to get nearly the power out with a smaller and slightly lighter package. The F4i is ~125 lbs last I checked, I have to imagine that lopping a few cylinders off is good for 20-25 lbs. I know there are a lot of teams concerned about CVTs but twins in general show promise for the competition. This might be the cheap and easy solution to a smaller engine.

We looked briefly at this motor.
    From the bit of research done we understood it to be a sleaved 600 twin, so based off that info it was rejected as it would be really tall and heavy. The packaging aspect for our car (very laid down driving position) it would not work as the valve cover would be taller than our harness bar. On top of that it is nearly the same weight as the 4 cylinders.
    I wish it was lighter but if I remember correctly it is in the same ballpark as the f4i that we have used for eons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2