+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accumulator Container Rules Discussion

Accumulator Container Rules Discussion

Hi,
    As per EV4.6.1

All parts, especially live wires, contacts, etc. of the tractive system need to be isolated by nonconductive material or covers to be protected from being touched. In order to achieve this, it must not be possible to touch any tractive system connections with a 100 mm long, 6 mm diameter (4 x ¼ inch) insulated test probe when the tractive system enclosures are in place.

Can anyone explain the rule. I am bit confused in this.

Kalyan Dash
    4ze Racing
    SRM University

Which part is confusing?

All the electrical bits that you could shock yourself on have to be enclosed well enough that you can't poke any of them with the specified 100mm long x 6mm diameter stick.

I.E. when they put their stick in your box, it doesn't let out any magic smoke.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Thank you Drew. You have solved my problem.

Coming to another clarification,

EV3.4.6 The container material must be fire resistant according to UL94-V0, FAR25 or equivalent.

EV3.3.1 If the container is made from an electrically conductive material, then the poles of the accumulator segment(s) and/or cells must be isolated from the inner wall of the accumulator container with an insulating material that is rated for the maximum tractive system voltage.

I am planning to use Glass Fibre Reinforced Polyester plates of 4mm thickness. These plates come under UL94-V0 grade. I have plans to use "L clamps" to join the plates to make the cuboid container. Do this thing violates any rule?
    I am going with a Polyester plate because I have no idea about UL grade of Aluminium.

Kalyan Dash
    4ze Racing
    SRM University

Hi
    I have some doubt regarding Accumulator container design.
    I have designed the container but facing problem in heat dissipation.
    There should be some gap for air ventilation so that the heat from battery will be radiated out. But the same gap may allow water in to the container during rain test.

So any suggestion how to solve the issue.

Kalyan Dash
    4ze Racing
    SRM University

You've highlighted a problem which is good. It's a good idea to, when asking for help, give possible solutions that you've thought of. Have you thought of any solutions yourself? Even if you think they won't work it shows us that you've put some effort into it.
    Penn Electric Racing

I thought of something like this. This will stop the water flow but will allow natural air flow. The design can be even modified to prevent water going in to the inlet tube itself. Any suggestions guys!!!!
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread