+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FSAE rule clarification

Question FSAE rule clarification

Hi,
    I am Sudharshun Iyengar representing a formula Electric Car making Team called Team Ojas from India. I have a small confusion regarding a rule in the FSAE 2014 Rule Book.

Let me quote the rule that i was confused with. EV 3.4.3 - "All accumulator containers must lie within the frame."

In our design, we use 2 battery packs on either sides of the car. The batteries are placed such that bottom 3/4th of the car is covered by chassis frame and the battery container is tightly bolted to it. The top 1/4th of the container pops out, that is covered by water proof panelling. Hence the entire battery container is covered and water proof. So have we satisfied the rule?

Another totally different doubt I had was that can we use an HVD such that its placed in series and in between the two Battery packs?

Any reply is appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Opinion and my own question...

Hi

About the Accu-Container: I am somewhat skeptical about this. I believe the rules usually mention something like 'protective envelope' when referring to critical components allowed outside of the frame but still inside that somewhat save zone called ‘protective envelope’. However in this case they explicitly state'within the Frame'. I would not risk it. (=my Opinion)

I am interested in the HVD question too, but like you, I have my doubts. Those are based on the basic concept (in my mind!) of interrupting HV very close, at or in the container with the HVD thus containing HV in the container. But this might me over thinking it on my part. In the end the rules only mention ‘one’ pole. So if anybody has some insight this would be greatly appreciated.

To kind of highjack your Thread I have a question of my own: In a nutshell, can we use an ECU or Datalogger with a LAN/Ethernet-Interface mounted on the device/pcb in but not connected. (I do know the combustion people do this without a second thought.)
    The background problem is that Ethernet over Twisted Pair is running about 48 Volt. Technically this is a HV-System. Last year somebody asked in this direction in FSG - but they wanted to use Power-Over-Ethernet throughout the car. This was not permitted. (https://www.formulastudent.de/fsg/fo...uid=837&page=6) Please advice if this ever came an issue and how you dealt with it.

Thanks a lot everybody!

Best Regards,
    Tobias R

Hi Tobias,

I made a huge typo that changes the meaning of the question I have asked.
    I will just reframe my question for better clarification. Our battery containers are placed in the side pots. These are placed such that each container protrudes above the chassis frame by couple of inches. Does that change your answer?

Answering to your question regarding the ethernet, it really is an interesting idea that we never thought about. So unfortunately i cannot advise too much on this matter, though i think that this would be in violation of the rules of the Low Voltage System .

Best Of Luck!

Regards.

AI location & HVD as a split pack

Dear FSAEe colleagues,

Make sure your accumulator containers are within the envelope of the chassis & protected by fully triangulated side impact structures, as defined in the rules.

I do confirm that the following design, with an interlock on the HVD is rule compliant. It is actually, in my opinion, a good practice to use the HVD as a split pack.

Regards,
    Hugues Marceau
    Poly eRacing Team Captain 2009-2012
    Website
    Facebook Page

[QUOTE=uG;118200
    I do confirm that the following design, with an interlock on the HVD is rule compliant. It is actually, in my opinion, a good practice to use the HVD as a split pack.
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info! So - if I interpret this correctly - the HVD can actually be placed somewhat away from the accu containers? That could come in handy considering the new visibility rule…
    Also, was the interlock necessary because of your type of HVD or because of its remote location? (like with the driven wheels)

Best Regards,
    Tobias R

Hi,

We used this pack layout in 2012 (FSG)-2013 (Nebraska). An interlock was needed because the HVD could be opened without tools (EV4.8.5). Also, in my opinion, it helped to ensure rule EV4.6.1 (no live part could be touched).
    Hugues Marceau
    Poly eRacing Team Captain 2009-2012
    Website
    Facebook Page

+ Reply to Thread