+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 FSAE-Australasia

Thanks Z, your letter is a very good read! Would be amazing to have something like that from every competition, but European competitions are probably to big to capture everyone...

For a guy that witnessed the development of E-cars from the very early beginning in 2010 to the performance-monsters of 2013, it's a bit sad that the Electric cars from Australia are stuck somewhere in "2010 Europe"... 260kg to 330kg and low power drivetrains, that does not sound like a lot of performance...

I think Monash and Auckland have amazing cars on paper, hopefully it stays dry so that we can witness some nice drives!
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Letters from Werribee - Friday night.

Pennyman,

In fact, I do have a camera in my fancy little mobile phone box. I used it once a couple of years ago. But I have no idea how to get the pictures out of the fancy little mobile phone box and into this other fancy little interwebby box. I guess I could RTFM, but I already know that that would be a PITA. Which explains why I don't even use the mobile phone box anymore...

Anyway, that is why I call these posts "Letters from Werribee". If anyone knows how to send "Postcards from Werribee", then please do.

(Maybe I need a Cub-Reporter's-Sub-Assistant-Photographer-Guy? Or a pay rise???)
    ~~~~~o0o~~~~~

The last two latecomers...

#38 - Victoria University (Oz).
    ==========================
    Wheels and Tyres - 13" Hoosiers.
    Engine - Honda CBR 600 four, 70 hp (at wheels), on fuel = 98.
    Drivetrain - G'box in engine, chain to Audi torsen diff, conventional driveshafts.
    Chassis - Mild-steel spaceframe.
    Suspension - Double-wishbone, direct-acting spring-dampers, machined STEEL uprights.
    Aero - None.
    Mass - 271 kg wet.
    Testing - Soon!.

Team aiming for - "Finish", with estimated SP = ?, Acc = ?.
    Mission Statement (overall) - "Move forward, don't dwell, get $#!t done."
    Design Philosophy (for car) - "Cost effective, and easy to make."
    (Don't tell anyone, but... - "... Monash are very helpful ...")

#46 - Queensland University of Technology (Oz).
    ===================================
    Wheels and Tyres - 13" Hoosiers.
    Engine - Yamaha WR 450 single, 45 hp (at crank), on fuel = e85.
    Drivetrain - G'box in engine, chain to live-spool-axle (~75 mm OD, 6061 Al).
    Chassis - CrMo spaceframe.
    Suspension - Front = double-wishbone+pushrod. Rear = 4 x longitudinal links + "2 x A-arm" (aka "scissor linkage") for lateral location of the spool, and direct-acting spring-dampers.
    Aero - None.
    Mass - 190 kg wet.
    Testing - Soon, hopefully...

Team aiming for - "Expect bottom 10 (engine problems!)", with estimated SP = ?, Acc = ?.
    Mission Statement (overall) - "Never give up!"
    Design Philosophy (for car) - "Small, lightweight, agile."
    (Don't tell anyone, but... - "... we are too young to have bad thoughts ...")
    ~~~~~o0o~~~~~

So, will the currently falling light drizzle dry up, or become ... monsoonal?
    Will those teams that got no sleep last night manage to get their cars running by tomorrow?
    Will those teams that had no problems with their cars today manage to get any sleep tonight?
    Will Monash's excellent record of finishing comps continue, even with their new turbo, and new pneumatic shifter, and pneumatic DRS, and...?
    Will a grumpy-old-fart stand next to the teams that DNF'd and mutter "Stupid boys, you made it TOO COMPLICATED!!!"?
    How much "air" will the non-aero cars get as they crest the top of that hill?
    Please, someone, get a video-camera-thingy near that hill.

More tomorrow...

Z
    Last edited by Z; 12-15-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Being upside down and all I would have expected the cars being lighter...
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Being upside down and all I would have expected the cars being lighter...
    They are pretty light considering they have to support the weight of the whole world.

And Z, you need an intern! And maybe some sandwhiches to feed it. Anyway thanks for the letters, it's an interesting read.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::
    2007-2012 - Suspension, chassis, and stuff (mostly stuff)
    Université de Sherbrooke

Z,

Thanks for the summary on cars. The reasons you stated for ECU not attending are almost correct.

The team made some very big changes this year and weren't going to be as ready to compete in Australia as they would have liked. Pulling out saved the team a lot of money which is currently being put towards competing in the UK. The Oz comp costs us almost as much as going to an international competition, and the team was not prepared to waste the money by turning up to a competition and not finishing. We will be reviewing whether we return to the Australian competition in the future.

Every team who put a new car together for Australia this year has out engineered us for 2013. And we wish everyone the good luck they will need following good preparation.

One we are confident that the car is performing well we will be happy to share the technical details. Talking up unproven designs seems like a lot of intellectual masturbation.

Kev

Letters from Werribee - Saturday night.

Just a quick update from your faithful, but somewhat knackered, correspondent.

Weather today was an almost perfect, mild (~20 C) and overcast day with little wind. Similar forecast for tomorrow.

Results are running quite close to the students' predictions of Contenders to Tail-enders.

If anyone can post links to FaceSpace sites, or whatever, that show the results in more detail, then please do. And pictures... Otherwise, here are some of the results for the Contenders as listed on page 1. I didn't bother noting down the boring Cost and Presentation, and Autocross wasn't up, though is roughly the same (ie. Monash 1st...).

#66 Monash ------- Design = 1st = 200, SPad = 1st = 4.78s, Acc = 6th = 4.20s.
    #47 Auckland ----- Design = 3rd = 183, SPad = 2nd = 4.93s, Acc = 9th = 4.29s.
    #14 Curtin -------- Design = 2nd = 183, SPad = 3rd = 4.94s, Acc = 5th = 4.18s.
    #10 Wollongong - Design = 5th = 175, SPad = DNS?, Acc = DNS?.
    #101 Melbourne - Design = 12th = 157, SPad = 8th = 5.20s, Acc = 2nd = 3.96s.

More tomorrow (ie. +425 points!).

Z

(PS. Melbourne were particularly fast in AutoX (especially for a non-aero car), and if UWA can evict their many gremlins, then could climb a few places tomorrow.)
    Last edited by Z; 12-14-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Hi Z! I've seen you around at comp, but afraid of coming to talk to you

Here is the official FSAE-A page that update with photos (at night), and Nat does updates during the day.

https://www.facebook.com/FSAEAustralasia
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

As a MUR/Melbourne alumni, I was pretty happy we got into the 40.XXs, but we were hitting quite a few cones, so won't do that well place wise sadly. My main concern with MUR doing well is reliability: from 2010-2012, we had 1-1.5 months (20+ track days where we did lots of track time). I don't think has been the case for 2013 (on track late, lots of issues at the track = not much actual driving time/no proper setups), though the car is a step up handling wise as-is, apparently.
    Rex Chan

Last thing Z: the guys at FStotal have a running points tally (as do many teams, such as Monash, Auckland, Curtin, etc) here:

https://www.facebook.com/FStotal

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
    Attached Images
    Rex Chan

Rex, Thanks for the links. And I don't bite ... much ... anymore

(Kevin, I have tried to reply to your PM but it doesn't seem to want to go through? Or you have Nnn copies of my reply by now...)

Z

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast