+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suspension Rod Ends

Suspension Rod Ends

Hi Guys,
    We are a first time FSAE team and we were wondering about the suspension rod end sizes that are used in FSAE cars.
    We did some research and bought Aurora Rod Ends from chassisshop.com (http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/AM5).
    We would like to know if the above rod ends can withstand the loads in a FSAE car.

Thanks in advance...

I don't know, will they? It specifically states the load ratings on the page....
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

If you can't trust the catalog made by professionals then you should just test every rod end and spherical joint your self. Same for each car component; you will be building the best FSAE quality control process.

Just calculate the forces going in each suspension elements, make a choice of a safety factor and chose the rod ends which match your calculations. There are already plenty of threads on these topics on this forum.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the load ratings on rod ends are in tension loads. Most of the time it doesn't make a difference, sometimes, it can make your day a little more challenging (ask me how i know)
    Paul Charbonneau
    Formule Polytechnique Montreal
    2009 - 2012 - Suspension Lead
    2012 - 2013 - Team Captain
    2013 - 2014 - Suspension and Electronics Lead

Is it cheaper to buy Aurora rod ends from this site? Aurora basically gives 50% off for all bearings and rod ends to any FSAE team if you order directly from them

+ Reply to Thread