+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cooling system pressure

Cooling system pressure

Hello everyone, I am a student at Polytechnic University of Valencia and we are designing our first car this year. I am in charge of the refrigeration system and I have an issue that I haven't been able to solve looking for in other posts or other forums.

My problem is that I don't know if a radiator cap of 1.3 bar would be too much compared with the pressure that our engine can accept. In other words, maybe I buy a 1.3 bar radiator cap, but my engine starts to leak water at 1.25 for example, and I must buy a 1.2 bar.

We have an Honda CBR 600 RR 2004 engine, with original thermostat and water pump.

Thank you for the aid.

Try it an find out! Things you have to consider would be where would you leak with additional pressure? Why should you run more pressure? Why shouldn't you run more pressure?
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

I already know the answer to these questions.

The point is that we haven't made the car yet, we are designing it. My last option is to test it and if it leaks, just get another cap. But I was wondering if it is possible to know that before testing.

Thank you.

Well if you already know the answer, then why are you asking?

If I remember correctly the CBR/F4i/R6 all run the same pressure cap, 1.1 bar. I'd have to take a look quick to make sure that's right. Regardless, that information should be readily available on the internet. If the stock pressure rating on the cap is 1.1 bar, then why are you so adamant on running a 1.3 bar cap? Also do you really think an extra 0.2 Bar is going rupture seals and hoses? I'd be a little scared if that were the case and I'd seriously look at what's all going on.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

+ Reply to Thread