+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rules Changes for FSG

New Rules Changes for FSG

Tobias Michaels has announced new rules changes for 2014 Formula Student Germany on twitter.

"Devices generating downforce must not be attached to suspension components."

Had to double check, it's not the first of April and I'm not on drugs. Are they serious?
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

Thats not the only one.

"No parts of the car are allowed to be higher than the main roll hoop"

According to what I have read, this is for 'Safety' in the case of rear wings flying off, and for EVs for visibility of the Tractive System Light, although this is already covered by another rule.
    Stefan Nasello
    Queens University Racing - Project Manager 2009
    Rennstall Esslingen - Suspension Team 2010

www.qfsae.com
    www.rennstall-esslingen.de

Just take a look at the F1 cars of 1969 and the resulting accidents and think by yourself, whether these two rules make sense or not.
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

I can understand the unsprung aero rule, but I am having a problem seeing how limiting wing elevation increases safety.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

Quote Originally Posted by TMichaels View Post
    Just take a look at the F1 cars of 1969 and the resulting accidents and think by yourself, whether these two rules make sense or not.
    First that was 44 years ago, we have learned why it happened, how to prevent it and such. Since then materials and simulations have progressed so we can now predict better what will happend.

Second, FSAE is not F1, Not even close no matter how much we wish it was, loads and speeds are much lower in fsae.

also the accidents your talking about were a result of the graham hill lotus ( basically wings on sticks attached to upright)
    2013-??? R&D Engineer at Michael Waltrip Racing
    2012-2013 Lead Aerodynamics Engineer, Zips Racing
    2010-2012 Engine Team Member, Zips Racing

If everything that can potentionally cause an accident is forbidden will there be much left to do?

Formula 1 has a great record of things causing accidents: tires, brakes, uprights, wishbones, engines, track workers with extinguishers etc...

What I mean is that there can be safe and effective unsprung aero. Now it's all forbidden for the sake of mistakes made decades ago. There must be a way to control it in a less-restrictive way?

I do understand the height-rule though. One day at the sauna we were joking about a sprint-style wing on top of the car (would have been sprung though)...
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

Another design constraint, another optimization parameter.

CGz vs. aero (aka. How high can we make the roll hoop)

Attach aero to rocker, problem solved, loads goes straight to tire...

Not sure what the big upset is.

That was 1969..... There is tech and even after that design judging to spot design or manufacturing weakness.

Honestly I have nothing against aero attached to uprights. I have seen tons if issues with front and rear wings mountings on chassis too in FSAE / FS as well as in pro racing. It is in fact a very good engineering exercise.

But I go to FS / FSAE to have fun so I do not feel it as a big deal. I think this is minor debate.

In fact, if we really want to go this way then we should ban most of aero devices; these are mostly irrelevant to the automotive industry, compared to (just to give 2 examples) electrical power and torque vectoring: THEsE are relevant.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Claude how are aero devices irrelevant to the auto industry. Id say that aero is now more relivent than ever with companies trying to reduce drag for fuel economy, sports cars using aero to reduce axel lift off and if we call motorsports the auto industy then aero is hugely important with respect to vehicle performance.
    2013-??? R&D Engineer at Michael Waltrip Racing
    2012-2013 Lead Aerodynamics Engineer, Zips Racing
    2010-2012 Engine Team Member, Zips Racing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast