+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to be a rookie judge?

How to be a rookie judge?

To the judges on here,

I graduated last year and want to start the process to become a rookie judge at Michigan this year and give back to FSAE. It seems kinda hard to find out who to contact about this... Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

From my experience, it seems that judges are chosen by the competition via their sponsorship (and often have no clue), or are long standing members of the FSAE community (Claude, Pat, etc.). Having spoken to some volunteers, the impression is that you have to volunteer for a while (flag marshalling, practice track controller, etc.), thus qualifying as being a 'long standing member' before getting near the judging tent.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

I just had this discussion with Kaley Zundel about volunteering earlier today. I'd start with an email to her, and tell her what you're interested in. Here's her email address: kzundel@sae.org
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

Rookie judges in Australia

Just a polite clarification if I may

We have a number of long standing judges here in Australia, but we also are continuously on the lookout for new judging talent. Many of the long-standing judges and officials are looking towards the new generation to step in and to start taking command of the FSAE-A ship. So there are judging positions available here, allocated on a merit basis.

If you are interested in a judging role here by all means send us your resume / details and you will be considered. Over the past few years a number of FSAE alumni have been Design judges, and have completed the task very successfully. For those who may only be a year or two past graduation, if selected we would probably put you in a supervised position simply because of possible perception of bias towards (or against!) the team you came from. Otherwise the positions are open to the best candidates we can find.

All enquiries can be sent to: formulasae@sae-a.com.au

Kind regards,

Geoff
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

I have sent you a PM.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

Glad I'm not the only one thinking about this. After getting a job locked in for this December this was priority number 2 for me. Although I'll be content with scrutineering instead of design judging.....still not convinced i know all that much!
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

The following is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect FSAE and / or Formula student organizers opinion.

Design judging is not a closed circle. At the contrary, we need fresh minds and new perspectives so I personally would welcome new design judges and ideally former FS / FSAE participants. Older judges do have experience, maybe "wisdom" but after a while they are less aware of new technologies. And one of these days the oldest judges won't be there... So we do need new, younger judges

The only reserve I have is that I wish any new design judges would have a minimum of 2 or 3 years of professional experience. In FSAE / Formula Student you do not really have a boss, or have customers. The new 2013 rear suspension, diff, wing is not ready.. ok let's fit the 2012 one. Once you are in a real world, if you do not not deliver on-target and on-time there will most probably be consequences. In FSAE / FS there aren't. Reaching on time and on target delivery is rarely part of the students self imposed discipline.

As FSAE / Formula Student main objective is to prepare engineers for their tomorrow work, I wish new design judges would have the same innovation spirit and enthusiasm they had as students but with also a bit more experience and sense of reality of the industry time, budget, organization, large scale industrialization, market, competition, customer demand and.... yeah as much as I hate this... also big company inertia and politics constraints.

In other words I believe each former student need 24 to 36 months to cut his FSAE / FS umbilical cord

Just one more comment about design judge independently of the topic of new judge recruitment. Students and organizers will recognize that the commitment and the time spent before, during and after the events (I personally answer a minimum 2 or 3 emails about FSAE cars design and testing engineering advice every week + time of the FSAE forum) come most of the times from people who are retired (Pat Clarke, Bill Cobb, Geoff Pearson - Goeff I hope you are not offended if I put you in this category hopefully only for a while) or self employed or owner of their own relatively small company (Steve Fox for example). Besides guys like Michael Tobias, most of people who have a "real job " in bigger companies do not find the time to help students on a consistent basis. We need judges from big companies, for their experience and the indispensable budget that they could bring but we also need real racing nuts and motorsport enthusiasts with available time.

Kaley Zundel is probably the best person to contact; she probably will redirect your demand to one of the chief design judges
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Quote Originally Posted by jlangholzj View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking about this. After getting a job locked in for this December this was priority number 2 for me. Although I'll be content with scrutineering instead of design judging.....still not convinced i know all that much!
    This is probably what I'm going to do as well, at least for a couple of years. Hopefully I'll have learned a little more by then, and will be more able to help as a design judge.
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

Just wanted to throw out my contact information and the invitation for anyone interested in volunteering for the Formula SAE Michigan and Lincoln/Electric competitions to please feel free and contact me. As previously mentioned by others (Geoff and Claude), we are always looking for new talent to return to Formula SAE with their fresh minds and perspectives to volunteer.
    I would be happy to talk with you about your interest...we have many opportunities and needs.

Email: kzundel@sae.org
    Office: 724-772-8533

All, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the lead time, work has been busy.

Ed, thanks for the PM, it was very helpful.

Claude, I defiantly see your point. I am working at Toyota which I suppose is almost as large a company you can get in the automotive industry and all the things you said about the "real world" are true and I am learning about now. I just want to try to get involved in FSAE now (maybe shadow a judge this year) so that I can transition into a more important role easily later.

Kaley, I'll send out an email today.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast