+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FSAE EV Rules 2014 Questions

TS voltage rating.

Hi Puneet,

kind of slow going here...
    Well, in my opinion, Rule EV1.2.8 talkes about isolation in case of wires (and perhaps sensors etc.), but basically about the specs for normal operation when it comes to fuses, relais, connector and everything else. Most components come with some kind of current AND voltage rating for normal operation and for the most part you should stick to that. Motors are the only exception i can think of right now. But he isolation rating is always the hard limit. But this is beyond your question anyways...

In case of your motor I do not see why there should be a problem. As long as all components in the tractive system are rated for equal or above the maximum tractive system voltage, there should not be a safety problem. Can you think of any safety issue when supplying the motor with a lower voltage?

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thx!

Kind regards,
    Tobias R
    Combined University Racing Berlin (CURB) - Germany

Hello Tobias,

I don't have anything official for you, however I got told that "teams started showing up with carbon fiber housings or very thin aluminium housings". Organizers were "afraid that if a part comes loose inside the motor, it might penetrate the wall and hit someone especially with the high revving motors".

In short, if your motor comes from a series-production vehicle, I'm expecting you won't require a beefier case.

For the geometry of the case, it should be meet the T8.4.6 regulation, even if it does not spin at rest (FAQ#107).

Regards,
    Hugues Marceau
    Poly eRacing Team Captain 2009-2012
    Website
    Facebook Page

Smile Motors rule -> T-Rule and FAQ?

Hello Hugues,

thank you for your reply.
    I find your argument very logical so at this point I will tell my guys to proceed without the extra case until I hear anything different. It is a risk I am willing to take.

You also mention T8.4.6 and a FAQ. The rule is about finger protection and I am yet to find the mentioned FAQ. Can you elaborate please? Thanks alot!

Kind regards,
    Tobias R

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the reply.

I made a big error which I realised only after reading your reply. Very Sorry for that. I wanted to ask if we could use motors with rated voltage less than the maximum tractive system voltage. But your reply answers the question to some level.

In components like fuses and AIRs, the rule makes a lot of sense. In these components the Voltage rating is absolutely essential to their tasks. But I feel it is an overkill for components like motors. Especially with all safety compliances in the motor controllers as well.

In fact we asked this doubt to the rulebook committe (particuarly for motors) and their reply was : "Yes this is correct. If this is not complied with then it will be possible to provide a voltage to the motor that is too high and it could fail" So I guess motors too need to follow the rule.

Puneet Arora
    IIT Bombay Racing
    Racing up the ladder!!

Quote Originally Posted by tobias.rheinlaender View Post
    The rule is about finger protection and I am yet to find the mentioned FAQ. Can you elaborate please?
    Hi Tobias,

Yes. You go to: "http://fsaeonline.com/". You login. You click on "Browse All Rules FAQs", then on "#107". Here's what you should be able to read.

"Per T8.4.1, "Exposed high-speed final drivetrain equipment such as ... electric motors, must be fitted with scatter shields in case of failure." (You are of course still required to use the steel material as the chain scatter shield.) For the shield around the motor housing, we will allow you to use 'mesh' or expanded sheet metal (aluminum or steel), as long as it meets or exceeds the perforation size requirement at T8.4.6 "must prevent the passage of a 12 mm (1/2 inch) diameter object through the guard." I realize the other language at section T8.4.6 regards 'parts that spin while the car is stationary,' but after discussing we request that you use the perforation details stated there, as a minimum specification."

Regards,
    Hugues Marceau
    Website
    Facebook Page

Hi Tobias and Hughes,

We have a similar problem with the casing too. We are using a stock motor for our car, which already has an external casing which is 1.2 mm thick. So we'll need to replace this or add another one above it.

Also, what is the purpose of the finger guard if the casing is now present? It itself performs the function of the finger guard, thus making the finger guard rule redundant.

Finally, if an external casing is required for motors, are perforations allowed on the casing?

Thanks a lot.

Puneet Arora
    IIT Bombay Racing
    Racing up the ladder!!

Unhappy Registration Hassle

Quote Originally Posted by uG View Post
    Yes. You go to: "http://fsaeonline.com/". You login. You click on "Browse All Rules FAQs", then on "#107". Here's what you should be able to read.
    Thanks for the info. I guess I have to be a 'Team-Member' to see those. Well, just more hoops...

@Webmasters: Please keep in mind that the FSAE-Rules are the basic rules for all the events. (okay, at least for FSG) Looks like I need to get a Team-Captain register a team before I can become a legit team-member so I am able to see the FAQ. As I am from a smaller German team that is not going to leave continental Europe any time soon (not with an electric car anyways...) this is for the most part a waste of time and database storage. Please consider streamlining that process.
    Btw: There are way to many questions answered in the FSG-Forum that should be discussed here nowadays. Please consider contacting your colleagues and have them ban or at least discourage general FSAE rules question from the local forums so there is one place to go for these.... Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by uG View Post
    "Per T8.4.1, "Exposed high-speed final drivetrain equipment such as ... electric motors, must be fitted with scatter shields in case of failure." (You are of course still required to use the steel material as the chain scatter shield.) For the shield around the motor housing, we will allow you to use 'mesh' or expanded sheet metal (aluminum or steel), as long as it meets or exceeds the perforation size requirement at T8.4.6 "must prevent the passage of a 12 mm (1/2 inch) diameter object through the guard." I realize the other language at section T8.4.6 regards 'parts that spin while the car is stationary,' but after discussing we request that you use the perforation details stated there, as a minimum specification."
    Oh boy. Well, at least it will be less heavy than the extra case. Thanks a lot for the info.
    I wonder what 'exposed' in this context exactly means but I guess every motor must be considered exposed no matter how thick the case is. (Looking forward to tell the mech-people: Good news folks, probably no extra case from the EV-Rules. *party* But you missed one of your own rules - so basically "Swiss-cheese case" it is! - And for the x-time: Read the **** rules again! I am going to have a field day. )

Again, thanks a lot for your valuable help!!

Kind regards,
    Tobias R

Hi all,

For the benefit of everyone... here are the official answers to my previous questions:

EV4.8.1 (HVD): "Hugues, using a handle that operates the actual HVD is allowed, if it is built in a reliable way. Behind the vehicle means behind and on the centerline of the vehicle, not slightly on the side. "

EV8.3.5 (Charging): "Dear Hugues, turning off the charger means electrically turning off the charger. Thus you will need a contactor disconnecting the charger from mains power supply."

Electric Design Event: "Hugues-

The topic of points distribution (including Formula SAE Electric) has been discussed amongst the Competition and Design Event Organizers and Chief Design Judges at fair length.

While it may appear that only 25 of the 150 points is attributable to EV aspects, it should be noted that EV influences overflow into several other areas. These include: vehicle dynamics/suspension (ex. via torque vectoring), frame (battery and motor mounting), Controls (power delivery and driver information), System Management/Integration (power management), Manufacturability/Serviceability, and Creativity.

As we discussed the point allocations, we determined that EV aspects flow into (or at least 'should' flow into) nearly all categories of your design. Secondly, even though the EV project is admittedly very involved (in particular due to safety rules/requirements), this in no way diminishes the importance of attributes such as suspension geometry or aero design on overall vehicle performance.

Please rest assured that the rules committee and event organizers have discussed (and shall continually revisit) the topics of points distribution between and within events. There is a healthy tension that exists within the organizers that drives frequent discussion about topics such as this. Also know that the educational value for and safety of the participants remain our highest priorities.

From a functional standpoint, the 2013 FSAE Electric event was run concurrently (but separate) with the IC engine event in order to streamline the activity. The FSAE-E cars were only judged against / compared with other FSAE-E cars. With only 5 of the 20 registered team showing up for the Design Event, this remains the most efficient way to run the event. Naturally, as the number of active participants grows, so shall the event's independence from the IC engine event.

Much like the Design Event, discussions about how best to approach the cost event for FSAE-E have taken place as well. Over the years, several changes have been made to the cost event to improve its fairness, relevance, and educational value. We shall regularly revisit our approach to make the event the best it can be.

We thank you for your inquiry and wish you the best of luck in future competitions. "

Good luck to all of you!
    Hugues Marceau
    Website
    Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by tobias.rheinlaender View Post

I wonder what 'exposed' in this context exactly means but I guess every motor must be considered exposed no matter how thick the case is.
    Hello to everyone that has been wondering about this rules question about motor cases and the allowance of a mesh cover over the "exposed" high speed final drive.

This was a question that my team asked last year.
    We use the EMRAX motor which spins the entire motor case which is why we asked the question and is what is meant by "exposed".
    Our theory on why they wanted it covered in the way that typically applies to CVTs and the like, was that there was a concern that if we were running it with the Wheels off the ground, in the pits lets say there, would be a safety concern. (eg. a tool gets dropped on the motor when it is spinning at 2000 rpm)

In any case this question was asked prior to the new rule about having to have a 3mm structural case around the motor so any questions about this will need to be asked again. For instance our motor does use air cooling to a small degree through the entire outer perimeter of the case having small holes in it. Our interpretation of this new rule, with the specifics of our motor makes us think that we need to put the 3mm case around the entire motor...We will be getting an official answer through the Rules committee but any insight from the forum would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
    Hello to everyone that has been wondering about this rules question about motor cases and the allowance of a mesh cover over the "exposed" high speed final drive.

This was a question that my team asked last year.
    We use the EMRAX motor which spins the entire motor case which is why we asked the question and is what is meant by "exposed".
    Our theory on why they wanted it covered in the way that typically applies to CVTs and the like, was that there was a concern that if we were running it with the Wheels off the ground, in the pits lets say there, would be a safety concern. (eg. a tool gets dropped on the motor when it is spinning at 2000 rpm)

In any case this question was asked prior to the new rule about having to have a 3mm structural case around the motor so any questions about this will need to be asked again. For instance our motor does use air cooling to a small degree through the entire outer perimeter of the case having small holes in it. Our interpretation of this new rule, with the specifics of our motor makes us think that we need to put the 3mm case around the entire motor...We will be getting an official answer through the Rules committee but any insight from the forum would be appreciated.
    Hi, SomeOldGuy,

Did you already got an answer on your question?
    We are dealing with the same problem..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2