+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire selection

Tire selection

how do i select the right tire for my fsae car? what are the different criterias to look into before selecting one?
    Last edited by Sachin; 08-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.

If you have only one line to ask. My answer must be: Take a Hoosier. If your car is < 200kg, take the 10inch, if it is above, take the 13 inch.
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Selecting the right tire

I recommend selecting the same as the left tire. Same with wheel but turn around because it rotates the other way.

You can select any tire allowed by the rules.

For the international rules, see T6.3 for info on wheels (which defines your size constraints), and T6.4 for further tire rules. If you are at a competition where the international rules aren't used, then I have no idea.

Beyond that the sky is the limit. Tires have been sourced from Hoosier, Avon, Goodyear (in the past), Michelin, Continental and Dunlop if I recall correctly. The Hoosiers are pretty much the standard for teams these days.

As for selection, you should look into this thread:

http://www.fsae.com/forums/showthrea...for-car-design
    University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports Alumni
    http://www.uwfsae.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin View Post
    how do i select the right tire for my fsae car? what are the different criterias to look into before selecting one?
    Lots of things to look at. What do you expect of the tire and will it give you what you want. If not make your own!
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FS Ravens Racing - Powertrain Dev. 2014
    CU FS Ravens Racing - Team Lead/Tooling 2013/2014
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead 2011/2012

+ Reply to Thread