+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just a hack From Ohio

I have to say- You FSAE guys are brilliant. the money and the machines, the schools and technology are SO impressive- You should all be proud. Incredible machines. That being said, I guess I'm being a bit self-serving here, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the Indy car that I've built. It's been sold and I'm now designing a 2010 car with suspension. This car pictured was like a giant, overpowered go cart that actually ran wicked lap times on an asphalt oval with minimal set up. Drag raced the quarter in 10.85. It handled beautifully provided the course was smooth.
    2005 YZF R1 1000cc fuel injected motor. The next car plans will utilize the same engine but will also be much more user friendly on road courses. This weighed 567 pounds without a driver. 13" rims, slick Goodyear tires. 91" wheelbase built for a 200lb, 6'3" driver. I will undoubtedly pop in for advice on suspension, but will be sure to check the archived posts, before asking repeated questions. The website shown on the car, is gone- I took it down. Keep in mind I have limited racing knowledge and no completed professional education in fabrication or engineering.
    --Just a hack from Ohio

I have to say- You FSAE guys are brilliant. the money and the machines, the schools and technology are SO impressive- You should all be proud. Incredible machines. That being said, I guess I'm being a bit self-serving here, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the Indy car that I've built. It's been sold and I'm now designing a 2010 car with suspension. This car pictured was like a giant, overpowered go cart that actually ran wicked lap times on an asphalt oval with minimal set up. Drag raced the quarter in 10.85. It handled beautifully provided the course was smooth.
    2005 YZF R1 1000cc fuel injected motor. The next car plans will utilize the same engine but will also be much more user friendly on road courses. This weighed 567 pounds without a driver. 13" rims, slick Goodyear tires. 91" wheelbase built for a 200lb, 6'3" driver. I will undoubtedly pop in for advice on suspension, but will be sure to check the archived posts, before asking repeated questions. The website shown on the car, is gone- I took it down. Keep in mind I have limited racing knowledge and no completed professional education in fabrication or engineering.
    --Just a hack from Ohio

Looks like fun!

Just don't let Pat Clarke look too close!

Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

Awesome looking car, although the front suspension is quite frightning if you ask me. Appears to be a lot of single shear and bending and a lot of things in the wrong place and restrained poorly. Given the size of those wings, weight of the car and the insane speed this weapon could achieve I would be carefull. Never seen pull rods attached to the upper A-arm like that in FSAE!!

Mace,
    A very clean looking car, well done. There is a lot to be learned on these forums by using the search function, so use it well. For the most part, people around here are friendly if you come with a specific, well thought out question. =) Be sure to post up pictures of your 2010 build.

Where are you located in Ohio? I grew up in Canton/Akron practically my entire life.
    Jason Stuffel
    -WARDJet.com
    -Zips Racing Alum 03-06

Nice looking car. Not bad by any means for someone with no formal training. I'd like to see that 2010 build when it's done. That paint job is amazing too. Did you do it yourself or have it done somewhere?
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

Well thank you gentlemen. It took me 14 months to make that car and the 2010 car should be done in 10-12 months. I'm outside of Cleveland in the Parma/Royalton area. This is definately not even close to FSAE specs & the suspension is fixed or rigid, yet adjustable. I merely set front wheel weight bias and rear wheel tire diameter offset and the car turns left on a banked oval, in almost full throttle without getting loose or pushing. Suspension on the new car is going to be very stiff and my brain hurts from all of the math you guys do,(I've been reading ALOT on this site) just to arrive at the proper angles for those front wheels... The paint was done by a good friend of mine in Strongsville, Ohio. He runs Cuyahoga Cycle Works and is available if you need him. I'm doing the next car (just like this one) right in my garage and taking drawings to my machinist for hubs and anything else I cannot produce. I'm going with a push rod front set-up and I want the shocks mounted over the knees, in the nose cone. The rear is either going to be a 4 link type straight axle or possibly a differential set up from an ATV. Not sure yet, I'm still reading.

Not sure if you're looking for a specific circle track set up or a road course car but there are many companies that now sell differentials to FSAE team specifically and many could fit your application. A couple of searches should get you some good links. Try Taylor Race Engineering.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

+ Reply to Thread