+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Semi-active differential idea

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    McLaren actually uses a similar concept....the end result is that you can enter a corner at a speed that should be quite a bit too fast, and the car still turns in and makes the corner when it should have otherwise pushed straight off the track. It's a very strange feeling when it happens!
    MP4-12C magic is most on the e-diff and the Kinetic interconnected suspension system; and everyone that has ever driven the car claims that might feel strange but it is actually faster than it should be! I'm quite sure McLaren engineers are much better than any of us in developing the control system though...

Quote Originally Posted by mech5496 View Post
    MP4-12C magic is most on the e-diff and the Kinetic interconnected suspension system; and everyone that has ever driven the car claims that might feel strange but it is actually faster than it should be! I'm quite sure McLaren engineers are much better than any of us in developing the control system though...
    Well sure - lots of the 12C systems are magic, especially the two you mentioned (although some people dislike the ediff stuff). I'm just speaking specifically to the brake steer because it's a real-world example of the concept the old F1 car had, and it's very tangible. When it happens you KNOW it happened. I didn't fully appreciate it until entering a corner much too quickly and feeling it kick in right as I expected the car to understeer off track. So you're absolutely right that it's faster than it should be. So much faster that it can be a bit scary at first. If I could do FSAE over again I would probably want to investigate these concepts on an FSAE platform if the team had the time/resources to spare - would be a really cool learning experience in any case!
    University of Texas 2002 & 2003
    University of Houston 2007

I was referring to brake steering too when I said e-diff, as it is an integral system, at least at my proposed version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm just speaking specifically to the brake steer because it's a real-world example of the concept the old F1 car had, and it's very tangible.
    Fun fact: The "old F1 car" code name was MP4/12...

That isn't coincidental. The 12C was named after the F1 car because of the "brake steer" feature.

Quote Originally Posted by CWA View Post
    As I understand, an old Formula One car (I think a 70s/80s McLaren?) had two brake pedals that applied this very theory in practise, where one pedal would apply full brakes, and the other pedal would apply brakes to only one side, the chosen side, depending on the corner direction, was adjusted by the flick of a switch in the cockpit. I think the system was famously uncovered in the media by a photographer sticking his camera in the cockpit of the car and snap-shooting the additional pedal? Anyway, whether it was ruled out by regulations or never really provided gains I don't know, but this technology seems to work with Delft electrically.
    McLaren called it 'Brake Steering' where the 4th pedal on the left side would bias the driving (or braking) torque in conjunction with steering wheel angle.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2