+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering rack

Steering rack

Not looking for anything in particular, except a good deal.

Show me what you've got.

Thanks.

Alex J.

Militera, Woodward, Formula Seven, all of them have racks suitable to most FSAE cars; depends on what you want...

Here you go Alex.

Hope this helps.
    Attachment 47

Quote Originally Posted by mech5496 View Post
    Militera, Woodward, Formula Seven, all of them have racks suitable to most FSAE cars; depends on what you want...
    We're a first year team with a $20,000 budget. I'm not even looking at those brands.

Basically, any piece of crap that will turn my wheels for a reasonable price is up for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronB View Post
    Here you go Alex.

Hope this helps.
    Attachment 47
    There's an issue with the attachment.

Alex, if you are tight on a budget search for "Stilleto rack". We got our 2007 rack from chassisshop and it was OK and pretty cheap if I can recall correctly. Another possibility would be using a rack from an ATV or a small car. Most cars have power steering which would make the rack even heavier, plus they are not symmetric, so ATV market might be your best bet. Alternatively, visit a junk yard, take the smallest car rack you can find, take it apart, and either modify it to your needs (cut the rack, build new housing) or reverse engineer it and build one from scratch.

$20,000 is more than we ever had for our cars...

Anyway, if you just want something, look into the ZF rack out of Porsche 911 and 914 of old.
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

Ha, Micah's post is quite timely, I just pulled a ZF rack from my 914 about 2 hours ago. :lol:

They are quite nice (double ball bearings, a helical gear, and wide-spaced rack mounts), but might be too large/heavy/slow ratio for a standard FSAE car (obviously this depends on your geometry). If weight is not a concern they are certainly higher quality than a Chassis Shop Stilleto rack. Having owned a few 914's I've never had the need to purchase one, but they may be more expensive than a Stilleto.

My recommendation would be to go for a Chassis shop rack for the best weight/cost efficiency and ability to select multiple rack ratios.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

+ Reply to Thread