+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS on Ice 2009 - Finland, Helsinki+KTH alumnies

Like last year, Helsinki alumni made some winter testing and in the meanwhile had some fun.

This year we invited also KTH guys and they arrived with their wing monster from the year 2006.

Helsinki's cars were 2006 car, a.k.a the Phoenix bird and already a ice racing veteran, probably one of the most driven cars in FSAE/FS history, the 2005 car.

From here you'll find the first pictures:
    http://hirppa.kuvat.fi/kuvat/F...09_03_01-ice_racing/
    I will put rest of the pics later on and soon I will start to make same type of video that I made last year. The air date for that will be in few weeks time.

Like last year, Helsinki alumni made some winter testing and in the meanwhile had some fun.

This year we invited also KTH guys and they arrived with their wing monster from the year 2006.

Helsinki's cars were 2006 car, a.k.a the Phoenix bird and already a ice racing veteran, probably one of the most driven cars in FSAE/FS history, the 2005 car.

From here you'll find the first pictures:
    http://hirppa.kuvat.fi/kuvat/F...09_03_01-ice_racing/
    I will put rest of the pics later on and soon I will start to make same type of video that I made last year. The air date for that will be in few weeks time.

------------------------------------------
    Kimmo Hirvonen
    Helsinki Polytechnic Formula Engineering Team '04-'07

Thanks Kimmo and the rest of the Helsinki guys for putting this togheter (and letting us "ruotsilainen" come!)

I didn't realize that driving FSAE cars on ice could be so much fun!

Edit: Frank showed us what the latest aerodynamic developments from Germany were: "The Frank-wings"... http://hirppa.kuvat.fi/kuvat/F...-35_Hirvonen+(2).JPG
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

Yeah, and he was sure that he'll be rich one day with that invention...
    Personally I think that it might end up to Pat's corner as a design error of the month cause in ice racing you go all the corners sideways and those wings give you nothing but sore arm pits.
    Kimmo Hirvonen

Would any north American teams be interested is some sort of event like this. we definitely have the climate for it. looking into interest and the possibility of something like this hosted by the university of Manitoba.

keith
    UMSAE

Frank Wings are a quite useful part on the car...

Here are some of the key advantages:
    #1 - more downforce
    #2 - human adjustable wings (no electric supply or hydraulic needed
    #3 - save at least 1 second in the 5 sec test
    #4 - no deo needed, because fresh air keeps you dry
    #5 - more space for sponsor stickers

Unfortunately the are already banned in FSAE:

4.6 Accessibility of Controls

All vehicle controls, including the shifter, must be operated from inside the cockpit without
    any part of the driver, e.g. hands, arms or elbows, being outside the planes of the Side
    Impact Structure defined in Rule 3.24, 3.25, and 3.26.

Even in Formula 1 the "Frank Wing is banned since 1997, when Tyrell (than BAR, Honad and now Brown Racing) had the mechanical version on the sidepods. That works so good the even Ferrari copied them...

...so Kimmo it is not a Design Mistake of the Month
    and Henning, no chance to make big money with that, and sorry for all the bad jokes we made!
    Frank Roeske
    -------------------------
    Member of the Executive Committee
    Formula Student Germany
    -------------------------

What size wheels are needed for these tires?
    Looks like they could be used for mud racing, too (Alabama, you need them! ).

Nice pictures. Looking forward to seeing the video.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FStotalcom/158738688444

That youtube video is mine, not the best I'm expecting Kimmo to make a better one.

Thanks to the Helsinki guys and to our hosts for the accommodation and food.

It was a lot of fun as long as it lasted. Hopefully we can do this again, and have a car that doesn't brake down.
    Jon Myhr Wahlen
    Suspension lead
    KTH Racing 2011-12

I added some pics from other cameras to the gallery.

Not sure is the upcoming video any better than Jon's version but at least it'll include some onboard footage which is always nice to watch.
    Kimmo Hirvonen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast