+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Machining Videos

I took some videos cutting a scrap piece of aluminum I had while I had a high speed video camera on loan for one of my classes, I thought you guys would get a kick out of these.

If anyone has anything along the same vein post 'em up, I couldn't find the old thread with the Matsuura 5-axis machine going to town, but machining vids in general are pretty consistently on our office computer.

Slow-Motion Machining

2-flute end mill shallow

2-flute end mill deep slow feed

2-flute end mill deep fast feed

5-flute scalloped roughing cutter

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

I took some videos cutting a scrap piece of aluminum I had while I had a high speed video camera on loan for one of my classes, I thought you guys would get a kick out of these.

If anyone has anything along the same vein post 'em up, I couldn't find the old thread with the Matsuura 5-axis machine going to town, but machining vids in general are pretty consistently on our office computer.

Slow-Motion Machining

2-flute end mill shallow

2-flute end mill deep slow feed

2-flute end mill deep fast feed

5-flute scalloped roughing cutter

Best,
    Drew

That's pretty awesome dude. I assume you were using something like a Sony HDR-HD3 or something similar?

I've wanted to take high-speed footage of our formula car during cornering/braking events for a while now. That would be sweet.
    Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

It was a Casio Exilim EX-F1 - 300fps video will shoot at 512x384, with a decent size lens. It would be great for shooting tire deflection or vehicle attitude changes. It will also burst shoot at 60fps up to 60 frames at full resolution for as long as you hold the shutter, which would be great for mid-corner capture stuff too.

I didn't get a chance to mount it to the side of my car to try to get lateral deflection of the tires before I had to take it back, but that's my next project if I can borrow it again.

Best,
    Drew

Nice, but why conventional cut? Climb into that and get some nice toasty chips. Conventional cutting in aluminum just builds too much heat IMO. Also, air blast will help prevent re-cutting chips (especially evident on the roughing cutter)

I don't have a high speed camera but I have been brave enough to get in macro with my point and shoot...

Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

Those are bitchin photos, how many lights did you have to set up to get the shutter that fast?

On conventional v. climb cutting, I was more interested in how interesting the video would turn out, but climb cutting on our older powerfeed manual machines bangs the slides up pretty bad. That machine has ball drive leadscrews and behaves decently, but most of the rest of our manual machines have really worn out split nut drives, so we are all in the habit of conventional cutting most of our parts.

Best,
    Drew

No lights. I think I had it on 'auto' at the time so iso and shutter speed are up in the air. I was in macro probably 6 inches from the cutter (dodging smoking chips). It's just a little Canon SD550 point and shoot. Out of the 50+ photo's I took, these were the only two that really got the chip as it was being cut.

I was cutting these at 3k rpm, somewhere between 30 and 40 ipm.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

That's awesome. I love my SD1000, I think about everyone on our team now has a Canon SD of some capacity, except the guy who's into photography, who shoots with a D70.

Dammit, I did NOT need extra things to detract from my re-learning diff eq's over the weekend for finals....

Best,
    Drew
    Zhefei
    Northwestern Formula Racing

Oops, was on my room-mate's computer.

+1 post for Zhefei.

Drew

SGS tooling FTW. Check out there machining videos. Not slo-mo but shows capabilities.

http://www.sgstool.com/products/highperformance.asp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast