+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SAE J79 - Brake disc thermocouple installation

SAE J79 - Brake disc thermocouple installation

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any team have ever tried to put some thermocouples inside their brake pad as per SAE J79.

Thank you!

I have done it on full size cars. There really isn't much room on appropriately sized FSAE car brakes for thermocouples. How about an IR sensor aimed at the edge of the pad or on the disc?
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

Gimme a Brake

What are you investigating? Brake pad efficiency? Brake rotor temps ? Thermal efficiency (effectiveness) ?

I have one of these http://www.flir.com/flirone/ios-android/ $250 direct from FLIR.COM Wait til you see what tire temps look like. Also exhaust header madness and radiator flow.

And arthritus in older engineers who still play hockey...

UWAM have stuck thermocouples inside their pads around the 2005 era (before my time) They were used on a lathe (brake dyno) and then on a car to verify a few things, as I understood, they worked, but were pretty fiddly. I'm not familiar with SAE-J79 so I can't tell you if they were done in accordance with it.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

Ok, now THAT is cool. Look out for one of those at East Lansing Kart Track once I come up with an advantage to gain and a test plan.
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

+ Reply to Thread