+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proving perimeter shear

Is there a way or standard or a calculation to prove perimeter shear strength?

- 1 inch punch test ?

cheers

Is there a way or standard or a calculation to prove perimeter shear strength?

- 1 inch punch test ?

cheers

I'd be interested to know how the panel is supposed to be supported for this test. If the test was the same as using a hole punch for sheet metal i.e. one inch punch on the top skin with the bottom supported on a base with a one inch hole. Or is the panel supposed to be supported across 500mm like the 3 point bending test?

If it is the former then it is pretty easy to calculate the sheer strength.

Has anyone sought clarification from the rules committee on this?

Cheers
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

Hello.

I'm new here, and wasn't quite sure if I should start a new post or not, but after searching for keywords I guess this post is probably the closest to my question.

I wish to conduct an-1-inch shear punch test on Aluminium Honeycomb Panel to find out if it can withstand forces up to 7.5kN (for rule # B3.31.3). Now I'm only quite not sure about the speed at which the punch has to come down onto the panel. Is there any equation, or sources that I can look into to calculate the required shear speed of the punch? Or is there a standard speed for such tests? Does anyone know?

Thanks

We have tested hexcell at a number of punch speeds with a 1" bar and the speed makes little to no difference to the results as far as I am concerned.
    Regards
    Jon

Thanks Jon. I guess I will do the same then, test it with a few different speeds, and hopefully I'll get similar results. By the way, off the top of your head, any idea on what was your lowest/highest speed?

Don't remember sorry. I can check the data tomorrow and let you know if that helps.

Jon
    Regards
    Jon

If you can please, that'd be great!
    Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread