+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Australasia 2009 - News, Pics, etc

sorry, apparently I'm an idiot! I meant to say Monash ahead on points, followed by UWA

Anyway, it's over now, and Monash really dominated! Took out static events and dynamics, think the tally was first in design, cost, skidpad, autocross, endurance, second in accel, and 1st overall! Possibly the first endurance win I've heard of where the team had taken a 2 min penalty for running out of order (they broke their drivetrain in the first endurance). Definitely countered my statement a couple of weeks ago on here about how I thought wings wouldn't win an Aus comp.

2nd was UWA and 3rd was Wollongong (the beginning of a return of the mighty gong?). UWA were running strong in the second endurance but had some problem, not sure what it was.

RMIT had difficulties all weekend, I couldn't tell you specifically what they were but they did get through an endurance and won fuel economy.

Swinburne had a good comp I think, but devastatingly couldn't restart in either endurance

QUT and Wollongong were 2nd and 3rd in endurance I think, can't remember the order. QUT also received the first official coneboy award.

Other highlights - ADFA finished their first enduro in a number of years (didn't get a chance to check the car out, but good on them). South Australia also got through both enduros.

Finally, we unfortunately failed to finish either enduro. In the first one we pulled a clevis apart, bent an a-arm and pushrod. Fixed it for second enduro, then a mysterious cooling system issue killed us in the second. We still proved the performance of the concept we'd developed, by having our most competitive autocross ever despite being underpowered and a bit heavy. Watching our first enduro driver reel in and overtake UWA was incredibly satisfying. I really hope next year's team is able to fulfill the potential of the concept. We also had a lot of interest and compliments about our car and the powertrain package

Might add more comments and/or details later. After party time!
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Cost:
    1st Monash 74,87
    2nd Woolongong 74,12
    3rd UWA 67,26
    Design:
    1st Monash 150
    2nd UWA 145
    3rd Auckland 135
    Presentation:
    1st Woolongong 75
    2nd ADFA 66,97
    3rd UWA 65,08
    Acceleration:
    1st UWA 4,16s
    2nd Monash
    3rd Woolongong
    SkidPad:
    1st Monash 4,967s -> 1,39g
    2nd UWA
    3rd Auckland
    AutoX:
    1st Monash 43,6431s
    2nd Swinburne 49,4158s
    3rd UWA 49,8787s
    Endurance:
    1st Monash
    2nd QUT
    3rd Woolongong
    Fuel:
    1st RMIT
    2nd Melbourne
    3rd ECU
    Overall:
    1st Monash 924,43
    2nd UWA
    3rd Woolongong

Congratulations to the team from Monash.

Many thanks to the twiter Account of FSAEA09, you did a really great job!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FStotalcom/158738688444

Just spoke to a friend of mine on the ECU Racing Team. Finished 5th overall and were Top 10 in all events.

They are rapt, and considering it's only the second year for us at ECU, it was a mighty fine effort.

Mechanical problems in the second enduro, CV joint and lose bolts, got them black flagged.

Only down side is, we'll have to try to do even better next year. Eek!

Well done guys. Wish I was there.
    ------------------------------------
    Team ECU Racing

'10 Presentation
    '11 Presentation, Artistic Director, Race Tape Engineer

Congratulations to Monash, you guys have been knocking on the door of an overall win for years. No doubt well-deserved!

Sorry to hear about your Enduro DNF's Auckland, but it's great to hear your concept proved to be beneficial.

Anyone got any updates from Adelaide?
    --------------------------------------------
    Technical Director UARC 2007

http://formula-sae.adelaide.edu.au

looking through the photos, the ECR car again looked very presentable...this time in the john player colour scheme. The car from Iran also looks pretty good for a first year car.

Congrats to the guys from Monash.
    Deakin Race Technologies 2007 Floor Sweeper
    2008 Team Manager
    2010 Team Leader

Checking in.

Awesome weekend. Some really great cars, monash show that cars with wings can win. They all worked really hard and there was alot of tension as they did their enduro with everyone watching to see if the welds in the driveline would hold out.

Malcom: Missed you at the afterparty

Brett: Aprillia proves to be a too-wild beast for us at adelaide to tame. Engine issues cost us in the second enduro. Loose bleeder in the fist. Still only completing one dynamic event (autocross) we came 12th. Solid statics, good result in cost.

To everyone that enjoyed my twitter feed, it was a new experience for me. I'm glad I was able to help. It was alot of fun and pretty soon alot of people started to recognise me as the "twitter guy". Thanks to everyone for being friendly (most of the time) and giving me the inside scoop alot of the time.

Probably the most fun competition I've ever been to.

Finally, for those wondering about RMIT, I managed to peice it together over the weekend: They use a hydraulic shifter setup, they routed the line over their header and burnt through...they were without a spare. They had issues getting a new one and issues with the fittings. They got out to autocross with a hack job using a throttle cable, but it meant they could only shift up...one driver was forced to run autocross in 3rd.

Managed to get a new hyraulic setup working but binned it into a gate in the first enduro and couldn't restart. Finally got out and posted a reasonable time in the second. The guys all worked really hard over the weekend, and it's a credit to them that they managed to get going in the end.
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

Congrats to Monash! I thought uwa had it, and really liked auklands new car and was hoping it performed well.

Thanks heaps Kirby for keep everyone upto date!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers

plohl

But I thought a wing car could never win? Oh oh oh..

Congrats Monash.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FStotal:
    AutoX:
    1st Monash 43,6431s
    2nd Swinburne 49,4158s
    3rd UWA 49,8787s </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has anyone ever won Autocross by this big of a margin before? A 5.77s margin is HUGE, I saw UWA and Swinburne's laps and they were really giving it everything.

Now to play the devils advocate...
    Wings done right = massive advantage? Even on the notoriously tight Aust. track? (this year was far more open than last to be fair though)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast