+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Australasia 2009 - News, Pics, etc

Hybrid View

So it's less than a week until the start of FSAE-A 2009 and there's been barely a peep in the Competitions forum, so I thought I'd kick things off.

How are teams going with their preparations? If previous history is anything to go by, Adelaide would have arrived in Melbourne by now ready for some extra statics prep before Friday, hopefully their car is well tested and ready to go.

And as always, post up some pics of your completed cars and any pics you take on the weekend, there's plenty of overseas fans that would love to see them (including me!).

Good luck to all teams competing!

Here's the list of competing teams from SAE-A's website:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    1 University of Western Australia
    3 University of Newcastle
    4 University of Wollongong
    7 Edith Cowan University
    8 University of Adelaide
    10 RMIT University
    11 University of Melbourne
    12 Iran University of Science and Technology, Arak Branch
    13 Swinburne University of Technology
    14 Curtin University of Technology
    15 UNSW @ ADFA
    18 VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering & Technology
    21 Tokyo Denki University
    22 University of Sydney
    25 University of Waikato
    41 University of Queensland
    46 Queensland University of Technology
    47 University of Auckland
    59 University of Technology Sydney
    66 Monash University
    72 University of South Australia
    77 King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
    89 PEC University of Technology
    63 University of New South Wales </pre>
    --------------------------------------------
    Technical Director UARC 2007

http://formula-sae.adelaide.edu.au

I'll be there as a volunteer but will try to get plenty of pics. Let's hope the rain holds off (yep, it's pouring down right now!)
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

Wow, what a comp!

There are tons of people I would like to thank... in particular

Auckland - Hard luck again this year, but a great bunch of guys and a pleasure to host each year. If you can get that car reliable its going to be a weapon. Bring back the wings!

Moke TV - Brent and crew, I couldnt imagine comp without you guys. Please keep coming back and doing your very special thing, we all need to be reminded not to take ourselves too seriously some times, and you guys do a great job of that. Managed to snag a pink t-shirt too, score.

UWA - Pushed hard all weekend and did not give up an inch. Pete was very unlucky not to take us down in Autocross (hitting the last cone) and also set incredible times in the second enduro. I had our pace board out in 2nd enduro, just to make sure he could keep his fastest lap ;p hahaha Glad we caught you on a bad weekend! Thanks also for the opportunity to car swap on Monday, I think we will both take away a lot from the experience. Would be good to get as many teams as possible there next year, us Aussie teams need to stick together and learn from each other if we are going to take it to the germans.

Swinburne - A great bunch of guys and an amazing new car, it just looked right everywhere. Unlucky this year but expecting you to come back strong next year. Hope you get to keep your new advisor he seems good for the team.

ADFA - Amazingly innovative car, we have always had a thing for de dions, great to see someone do it right. Smart, generous bunch of guys too, special thanks to sergio who helped us sunday morning by drilling lockwire holes in 20 or more bolts for us so we could get out for that second enduro.

UNSW - Ross and Kegsie, you crazy men. Cant believe what you guys did to get that car here, and almost to the end of an enduro. Madness.

A big thanks to the organisers, scruitineers and marshalls, no kidding, even with small number of volunteers this was the best organised FSAE-A event ever... and not just cos we won.

Scruitineering was pretty quick and efficient and safe. While I missed chatting with Michael and Suzanne I did not miss arguing for half an hour about whether a seat belt was 1 degree outside the allowed angle or not.

For the first time ever Acceleration event was staged PROPERLY, every single time. None of this staging then rolling backwards, or the old wipe the tyres and roll it backwards tricks. Trust us we tried! Every car was in the same position, every time. Such a relief to concentrate on the car and the driving rather than trying to get an advantage in staging.

The Autocross and Endurance tracks were sensible, varied and within the specifications laid out in the rules. Driver's hands didnt fall off from an endless line of 6m slaloms, and because of that Im pretty sure much less cones were hit overall, making for better racing, better viewing and safer marshalling. Why cant it be like this every year?

So a special thanks to Marissa, Flip, Mark, Adrian, Rob, Rod, Stephan, Steve, Chris and Chris for making that all happen. If anyone has contact details for Erin Heasman I would love to thank her for the many years of putting up with my complaints! She'll never believe we won though.

And lastly, a special thank you to both Pat and Claude. While we haven't always agreed with what you guys have had to say, you have both pushed us and much of the competition to do better, think more, and work harder, which is always a good thing.

I think thats it...

Cheers,

Scott Wordley

Monash University
    2000-2009
    "oh... and the wings don't work."
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

Scoring in every event for the last 12 comps running!
    http://www.monashmotorsport.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MRT_Xii:
    Perhaps their rear roll axis is a mile below CG??? You still end up with half the downforce of the wing. Head scratch... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Half of the aero downforce can't just disappear. I think it's a bit of a baited question from Pat (shock! ) - whenever you have high steering angles, car speed is low, so there will be little downforce generated from the wing. I would think you could almost ignor the wings for low speed cornering, assuming the weight swinging around above the drivers head is not significant.
    At high speeds when a lot of aero downforce is generated, steering anlges will be very small and so potential understeer issues from the spool are not that bad.
    Their suspension geometry is obviously designed to unweight the inside rear quite a lot, and Monash demonstrated that very clearly in the skidpad event! Perhaps more so than non-aero cars that run a spool?

Checking in..

Busy day this morning with statics in full swing. I spoke on the phone last night to Mick (old QUT guy) and promised I would do my best to keep the people that couldn't make it.

Expect sporadic posts as I wrap my head around twitter.

www.twitter.com/FSAEA09
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

ahh yeah, I may have missed that.

I have posted some quick CAD renders at http://s928.photobucket.com/home/oz_olly

I will add some photos once I get them. I didn't manage to take a single photo of my own over the weekend. Hopefully my team mates have some.

We also have more pics at www.fsae.unsw.adfa.edu.au (our new web address)

Cheers

Olly
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

UQ wont be there... again...

Good luck to all the teams attending!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers

plohl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Wordley:

Pete was very unlucky not to take us down in Autocross (hitting the last cone) and also set incredible times in the second enduro.
    Cheers,

Scott Wordley

Monash University
    2000-2009
    "oh... and the wings don't work." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez i thought there was a limit to the number of competitions one could attend let alone drive! Precious must be overdue haha

Just a heads up for those interested; the guys from CSU should have the video of the comp cut together by the end of January, but it may be a little longer owing to their own commitments.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast