+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Competitions....whats up???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Trimble:
    Next year, there will be 7 SAE events:

1 USA East
    2 USA West
    3 England
    4 Australasia
    5 Japan
    6 Italy
    7 Brazil

Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually though there will technically be 7 events, only those affiliated in the Formula SAE rules are SAE International sanctioned events. Just an FYI...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saegirl:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Trimble:
    Next year, there will be 7 SAE events:

1 USA East
    2 USA West
    3 England
    4 Australasia
    5 Japan
    6 Italy
    7 Brazil

Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually though there will technically be 7 events, only those affiliated in the Formula SAE rules are SAE International sanctioned events. Just an FYI... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't there an "FSAE Germany" event now, too, bringing the total of unofficial events to eight?

Another question, for anyone who knows: What will happen to the Neil Schilke Foundation Cup? Will it still be awarded at one of the competitions, or will it no longer be given out?
    Chris Davin
    Cornell Racing
    Engine Team '02 '03 '04 '05

Just a heads up to those who will be going FSAE west. The west coast practice is slated for may 6-7. Also, our region is also slated to host a practice/championship weekend the weekend directly before the west comp. If there are enough FSAE cars we can have a shootout on saturday and sunday.

Dave M - Cal Poly Pomona

Colorado's lookin for East.

Too bad State is goin West.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

East eh? I would have figured CU to go West as well. Any particular reason?
    Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited about boring things.

Bout the same distance either way, with more competition at East with twice the number of entrants... its at the Ford Proving Grounds which should be sweet... and who doesn't love Detroit???

Also its close to Canada (Windsor!)

And personally I want to see Rutgers' car. I assume Alan and John are still on the team this year.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike "Dunken Canuck" Jones:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    Yes, it will be hard to pick a "world champion". But I don't think that's the point.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Detroit will still be the mainstay for a while, given it will still be set at around 140 teams whereas others will be half that... The "world championship" moniker is already rather confusing to determine and will only get more so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a look at which competition former FSAE winners are going to. Teams that have asterisks are going to both. (Before you start bitching, I know that the list of past winners is not the same as the list of all strong teams, but it's what I had to go from.) This is based on the "Registered Teams" pages at the SAE website.

Formula SAE West (CA)
    ---------------------
    *Akron
    *Maryland
    Stevens
    *Texas A&M
    *UT Arlington
    Wollongong

Formula SAE (MI)
    ----------------
    *Akron
    Cornell
    *Maryland
    Michigan
    *Texas A&M
    *UT Arlington
    UT Austin
    Virgina Tech

At least naming a National Champion will be easy: somebody's just gotta win both!
    Ben Kolp
    Cornell Racing '98 - '01

There are good teams at both comps. However, Detroit will, at least for now, be the one people will defer to as the world championship.

That said some good teams are at FSAE West: Texas A&M, UTA, Auburn, UW, Georgia Tech, Akron, Wollongong, have all been recent top 5 teams. So the West will definitely be a competition with prestige.
    mmmm..... Garlic.

Why not set a world championship? The organizer could invite the top five or ten teams from all of the global fsae competitions. A kind of best of the best thing. By restricting the number fsae events a school could attend more teams would be able to place high enough in their "home" event to go the championship competition. It would allow a select set of schools to compete an extra time, and also allow them to compete directly with the best. This is not to say that the rest of us mid pack teams should just be swept aside, what I am saying is that teams that have a large budget, and can travel to multiple fsae competitions have a advantage that others do not. This may be considered fair or unfair, depending on your point of view. I am just trying to suggest a solution to two problems. Who is the actual champ, and why should some schools get to compete as many times in a year as they like, and other teams not.

Any one think a world champ competition will ever happen?
    Dustin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wright D:
    Any one think a world champ competition will ever happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    As long as this remains an educational engineering competition, no.
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast