+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Adding grip" to steering wheel

Hi everybody,

I have a question mainly for the ones making their own steering wheel: what do you use for grip on the steering wheel?

We are currently having our steering wheel custom fabricated in aluminium (long story short we had do design a steering wheel to fit some non-standard dimensions), and I'm looking for something to use to make it slightly less "slippery".

I have found this (http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-66.html) and this (http://www.heskins.com/prod01.htm) type of tape, and have also been looking a bit at skateboard grip tape, but I wonder if anyone here has tried anything that has worked out well (or horribly bad, for that matter). Would even painting it in wrinkle paint do the trick?

Also; when adding tape to the perimeter of the steering wheel, I would get a minimal concave surface where I would have overlapping, has anybody had any problems with this during tech inspection? Just to be clear; the steering wheel itself has no concave surfaces in the perimeter, it would only be because of the tape. As I interpret the spirit of the rules, it would not be a problem, but it's always nice to have other opinions as well.

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

Hi everybody,

I have a question mainly for the ones making their own steering wheel: what do you use for grip on the steering wheel?

We are currently having our steering wheel custom fabricated in aluminium (long story short we had do design a steering wheel to fit some non-standard dimensions), and I'm looking for something to use to make it slightly less "slippery".

I have found this (http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-66.html) and this (http://www.heskins.com/prod01.htm) type of tape, and have also been looking a bit at skateboard grip tape, but I wonder if anyone here has tried anything that has worked out well (or horribly bad, for that matter). Would even painting it in wrinkle paint do the trick?

Also; when adding tape to the perimeter of the steering wheel, I would get a minimal concave surface where I would have overlapping, has anybody had any problems with this during tech inspection? Just to be clear; the steering wheel itself has no concave surfaces in the perimeter, it would only be because of the tape. As I interpret the spirit of the rules, it would not be a problem, but it's always nice to have other opinions as well.

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

I've held a Swinburne uni carbon custom wheel in my hands, and it was very light. It also had grip tape (like on skateboard decks), and apparently, it wears through gloves very quickly.
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

Maybe bicycle handlebar tape, like that Cinelli stuff for road bikes? Would be comfortable. Or does it unravel?
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Tennis racket handle tape should work well

We used grip tape from Tennis rackets.

It looks kinda shitty after some time but works brilliantly. You have to use a new one before going to competition
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

I would talk to your uni's baseball team... most baseball players have had experience with taping aluminum bats. Since you're European you probably don't have much experience with baseball... just search for aluminum bat grip tape and it may point you in a decent direction
    Wazzu Racing
    Drivetrain Lead '08-'11
    President '11-'12
    sae.wsu.edu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rex Chan:
    I've held a Swinburne uni carbon custom wheel in my hands, and it was very light. It also had grip tape (like on skateboard decks), and apparently, it wears through gloves very quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep. Skateboard grip tape does not work well.
    Give's you plenty of grip with gloves, but tears them apart very quickly.
    Cheers

Swinburne University of Technology

Freddie,

Take cloth material of your choice (denim works well), cut into long strips, dip in watered down PVA glue (aka "Aquadere", or wood glue), and wrap around wheel rim to your desired thickness.

For an even grippier texture use thick string or cotton cord + PVA, spiralled around the rim.

For an upmarket finish use leather, preferably suede (French "Suede" = Sweden?).

Practise on a broomstick, or offcut tube.

My dear old Dad taught me this method. I have several of his tools with these handles from 50+ years ago, used regularly and no significant wear.

Z

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My dear old Dad taught me this method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also learned about wrapping/winding with string from my father. As well as steering wheels, it's also useful for repairing/reinforcing cracked handles on any tool. This instructable shows the clever way to secure (and hide) the ends of the string, by starting with a long loop that you wrap over,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlModgaE5Qw
    I've gone further and pulled the loop right under the wrapping (useful for non-meltable cord or wire wrapping).

Simple winding is now taken "over the top",
    http://www.itstactical.com/ski...knife-paracord-wrap/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast