+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSG Joins FSAE

I will let you all know that Formula Student Germany is now an official member of the growing list of FSAE student competitions. You can read all about it on the FSG and SAE websites.

This agreement opens up a whole new wave of opportunities for making these student competitions even better than they already are. Literally limited only by our imaginations (and your suggestions!).

Look to see some major improvements in the way the 2010 FSAE-MI event is run...
    Steve Fox
    FSAE-MI Chief Design Judge
    Formula Bharat Chief Design Judge (Coming in 2017!)
    FS-India Chief Design Judge (NO further association)
    FSG Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSA Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSAE-VIR Design Event Captain (ret.)
    SAE Industrial Lecturer
    http://students.sae.org/chapters/lec.../lecturers.htm

I will let you all know that Formula Student Germany is now an official member of the growing list of FSAE student competitions. You can read all about it on the FSG and SAE websites.

This agreement opens up a whole new wave of opportunities for making these student competitions even better than they already are. Literally limited only by our imaginations (and your suggestions!).

Look to see some major improvements in the way the 2010 FSAE-MI event is run...
    Steve Fox
    SAE Industrial Lecturer

Running Design like they do in FSG would be cool in my opinion. I've never been to FSG, but I think it would raise the bar as far as presentations and such go due to less time involved in rushing to set things up.

From what I've seen, the design presentation setups look really nice compared to most from MIS, but then again this may be because of the caliber of teams and not the way the event is ran.

Can you clue us in to some of the ideas that may be passed on the the US comps?
    Lawrence Tech University
    2009 Formula SAE
    Team Captain

(AKA The Dollar Nazi)

Are any US teams planning on attending FSG this year?
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Michigan will be going back
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

Our team will be at Hockenheim.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Just want to mention that there is an early registration for oversea, World Ranking List Top10 and FSG2009 Top10 teams starting at January 6, 2010 at 1200 CET. Don't miss it.

Regards,

Tobi
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

We are thinking about going, but I'm not sure if we can afford it yet. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper if we shipped our car with another teams car. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Thanks
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Hey Mike,

Cornell Racing would like to get a deal with any teams going to Germany shipping wise and what not, plz let me know if you have any quotes or plans in mind, we are starting to organize the whole thing, it s going to be a lot of work.

Jean Paul Montant
    Cornell Racing
    Suspension
    Cornell Racing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you clue us in to some of the ideas that may be passed on the the US comps?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a short list of changes we are implementing at FSAE - MI, 2010 (It keeps expanding daily):

45 minute Design Judging sessions, instead of 30 minutes. (this one change alone, should result in substantially less stress on the students.) Those of you who saw how we worked this in Virginia, know exactly what I mean!

Increased numbers of Design Judges, so that we may do a better job of giving feedback to all the teams who are looking for feedback. (Honestly, what team is NOT looking for feedback?) Students rate Design Judge's feedback as the most popular avtivity at FSAE. (For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, the judges enjoy it a lot too!...)

More Design Judges with specialized expertise. (Aero, Electronics Integration, Composites, etc.) If you are an exceptioinally talented student with a niche expertise, we figure we owe you a judge smart enough to converse intelligently with YOU!

There will no longer be a separation of Design Judges. All the 'Motorsport Design Judges' and "Industry Design Judges' will be listed in the FSAE Program as one group. The Judges who we recruit from the motorsports industry will still be there (and maybe a few more), but they will no longer be listed as 'Celebrity' Design Judges in the FSAE Program. (After all, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of the world...) (Although I have heard that Claude has a special rig like Batman uses to put on the Bat suit...)

All the Design Judges will have a short bio listed in the FSAE Program. Our hope is that the students will then connect a name with a face, and a capability. Knowing who your Design Judge is (and where he/she comes from), should make your Design Judging experience less stressful, and more productive (higher Design scores for everyone!).

SAE apointed two new Chief Design Judges for Michigan this year. You can read about it here: Chief The first appointed Chief Design Judges since Carroll passed away is an awesome responsibility, and we do not take that responsibility lightly!

Oh yeah, almost forgot... We are bringing Pat Clarke (One of the Chief Design Judges for FSG, & Chief Word Scientist for Pat's Corner on the FSG website 'Pat's Corner') back to Michigan after a six year absence. He promises me that he will not be too tough on the students...

A new document for you to read: Design Judging: A Student Guide To Understanding The Process. This is just one piece of inmformation which has been recently posted to the FSAE Official website. You ARE reading the SAE Official website regularly, aren't you? Design Judging: A Student...

A new perspective on customer service, where we will try and make your life a little easier at competition, so you can make better use of your time. (shorter Tech lines, less time standing in line at registration, more 'helper' volunteers (like 'Red Shirts' in Germany), etc. ie: Taking a page from the FSG operating handbook, and making this competition more 'For The Students'.

2011 Competition Goals we are working on right now:

Reduction in the size and complexity of the Rule Book.

A new and improved Design Judging Score Sheet.

Updated & improved Design Spec Sheet.

All in all, we are striving to make the 2010 FSAE competition at Michigan the best that you have ever experienced! Any questions???
    Steve Fox
    SAE Industrial Lecturer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast