+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New FSAE Steering Rack

Miltera Machining Research Corp. released their ultra lightweight steering rack at the Performance Racing Industry show last week.

The mRack (85.8-262) has the following features:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> Parabolic herringbone rack and pinion
    <LI> Weldable tapered hexlobe spline
    <LI> 6Al4V Titanium pinion and 7075-T6 aluminum rack
    <LI> Overall weight of 363 grams (0.8 pounds)
    <LI> Variable lock to lock up to 210 degrees
    <LI> Centering locking bolt for alignment
    <LI> Up to 25.1mm (0.988") of travel from center on each side
    <LI> Rack speed of 85.8mm/rev (3.378 in/rev)
    <LI> Contact ratio exceeds 2.5 for smooth operation (at least two pinion teeth engaged at all times)
    <LI> 262mm (10.315") span for tie-rod attachment points (minimum)
    <LI> Rack mounting point span up to 120mm (4.724")[/list]Retail price of $1,200 USD. Contact Cameron Bryant at cameronb@miltera.com for more info and FSAE discount.

Check out Miltera's website: http://www.miltera.com/

Nice looking piece of kit, now I have a weight target to challenge.

I happen to have a few titanium herringbone gears done by Miltera floating around over here, they used to sponsor our team with that kind of machining work. Kind of cool to see the idea come full circle.

Only sponsor we have ever had who actually liked working with Titanium.
    University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports Alumni
    http://www.uwfsae.ca/

The rack is way out of our team's budget but I can attest to the quality of Miltera's work. They do some pretty awesome stuff, and sure know their "feeds and speeds:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7i0liItNkw

The University of Kansas has been running the prototype of this rack on our 2012 car since before Michigan. It is by far and large the best rack we've run. Our previous cars have used racks from both Titan and Stiletto, and although they feel good at first, they eventually become sloppy and even despite trying to fix the slop they never quite feel right again. The Miltera rack though still feels just as good now as it did brand new, and honestly for the weight saving the rack offers, it's simply incredible.
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

Wow, I didn't think it was that small until I saw those pics!
    Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

As per my understanding of the rules, that rack will not comply with FSAE rules until the button-head screws are replaced with socket head cap screws or another grade 5 fastener, and safety-wired (T11.1 in the 2013 rules.)

Canuck, I believe those mounts are just for display purposes, so it's up to teams how they mount and secure the rack in the car.

I believe you are correct Red.

In that case, don't mount it like in the above pictures. Well, do. That's a good way to mount it, but use the correct bolts and make sure to have a bolt retainment method.

Originally posted by Canuck Racing:
    I believe you are correct Red.

In that case, don't mount it like in the above pictures. Well, do. That's a good way to mount it, but use the correct bolts and make sure to have a bolt retainment method.
    Canuck, those mounts were for display purposes only.

Mounts are not included and will be up to each team to design its own mount and choose the mounting hardware in accordance to the competition rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast