+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Static Event Schedule

Looks like the static event schedule with bays is released. And has been for a while.

I wish SAE would learn to crosspost things here, saves people here from having to steal things from them.

http://www.formulasae.org/forums/for.../announcements

So, plan your Thursday.
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

Looks like the static event schedule with bays is released. And has been for a while.

I wish SAE would learn to crosspost things here, saves people here from having to steal things from them.

http://www.formulasae.org/forums/for.../announcements

So, plan your Thursday.
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

Once again this year looks like the judges have put the cars that are expected to do well in design 1st (8-9 AM). All the top 10, + OSU, UTA, Leeds, Toronto, etc. I wonder why that is. I guess to get a good baseline. But last year, many of those cars didn't make semifinals. So I hope we have better luck this time.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

The cars are assigned to the various design bays based upon the reports you submit on 1 March. You are correct in that an attempt is made to set a good baseline for the judges, as there are some new ones every year. It is also necessary to balance each group in terms of perceived quality.

You will, of course, be judged on what you bring as well as upon your knowledge of what you did.

Design reviews have been distributed and are being reviewed by us. If a team would like feedback on their design report, please let me know and I will bring it with me to the competition.

- Dick

I should add that the feedback I'm talking about here will be on the design report you submitted and not the technical merits of your design. For that you have to grab us at the competition.

One request per entrant please. My feedback will be distributed at the competition, sometime on Friday or Saturday. (That way I know the team got it and not just an individual member.)

As I've said here in the past, at the competition, be sure to understand what you're asking for. There are usually three requests:

1. Why didn't we do well in design?

2. What can we do to improve?

3. What do you think of our car?

If you ask the latter you will get the personal opinion of the individual(s) you ask. That may or not be the same as how you were judged. I can disagree with a design, but if it is well executed and the students exhibit a clear understanding of what they were trying to do, they will likely score higher in design than some others.

The first two are tougher to answer. If you don't make the semi-finals or finals, and if the judge you inquire of didn't see the car in the first round, what you are likely to get are some general comments on the design, as well as how the car was executed. (Hint: You can ask any of us who are around the whole week - and you should, but be sure to make note of who is in the group that judges you in the first round and seek them out.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...But last year, many of those cars didn't make semifinals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are certainly cars (and student understanding) that don't match the quality of the report (You can write a design report based on those submitted in previous years.) and vice versa. (It doesn't count toward the point total, so some schools submit the minimum needed to get by.)

The fact that a bunch of "the usual suspects" didn't make the semi-finals should be a kick in the butt to them, as well as an encouragement to everyone else that you can.

- Dick

Dick,
    I would love to get some feedback on the Design Review we submitted. Do I need to do anything more than ask here?

We got an 8:30am Design Event spot. It looks like we'll have our work cut out for us. That's some very stiff competition.

Western Washington University Car #35
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE ˜01 to ˜05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

Jim (and others),

Asking here is sufficient.

The deadline will be Sunday 16 May, as I need time to prepare all of the feedback sheets. Nonetheless, sooner is better.

Based strictly on my first glance at all of the design reports, my guess is that once again there has been a big leap in the "mid-pack" cars and subsequently an increase in overall quality. What you bring, of course, is a different story.

- Dick

Dick,
    We're interested in your feedback. Thanks for offering to do this!

Denny Trimble
    University of Washington #60
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

Dick,

We would appreciate any feedback that you have. We are car #27 this year.

Thanks,

Brent
    University of Calgary
    2001-2004

Mr. Golembiewski-

Please provide feedback for Auburn's #5 as well. We are especially interested in your feedback because our advisor told us in so many words that it was an absolutely terrible report.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast