+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Features in PE Engine Controllers

Hello FSAE'rs,

We have been working on some interesting features for single cylinder engines and engines with low signal strength on the cam sensor when cranking. These features have not fully been released to the general public but I wanted to make them available to FSAE since some of these features can benefit FSAE. These new features are just part of a firmware upgrade. All FSAE teams are eligible to update firmware at no cost. The new features are below.

Pulse to Sync = This feature allows the user to use a MAP sensor signal as a sync input on engines that don't have cam sensors. We are using this on a bunch of OEM designs for single cylinder dirt bikes. It allows you to run in sequential mode without a cam sensor. We are now providing the same functionality in our PE3 system.

Run to Sync = This feature has been evolving because of our involvement with some spec car classes using Ford engines. These engines have very weak cam sensor signals at cranking. The factory ECU starts the engine in wasted spark mode and then switches over to sequential mode after the engine is running and stable. This allows faster starts and the ability to start the engine with a very low cam sensor input.

Please contact me directly if you would be interested in getting a version of software/firmware for the PE3 that takes advantage of these new features.

Thanks.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

Very cool features!

-Kirk

Oh man these features would have been awesome on our Suzuki LTR 450. We had to put in a cam sensor for the MoTeC M400. Weight + Things to break/get hit does not make for a good time.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I agree. Adding a cam sensor is no fun and sometimes just asking for problems in the long run.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

Yeah uh--I have a banged up cam sensor to prove it....

Ben

Originally posted by Ben K:

Measure twice, cut once?

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Why when it can just self clearance later?

Originally posted by Ben K:
    Oh man these features would have been awesome on our Suzuki LTR 450. We had to put in a cam sensor for the MoTeC M400. Weight + Things to break/get hit does not make for a good time.

Ben

At least you weren't welding on a magnesium valve cover to add said cam sensor. We took that route on our Yamaha 450...
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Originally posted by Drew Price:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben K:

Measure twice, cut once? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like the sensor wasn't working properly/not getting a good signal to the ECU and we kept screwing it in and testing....

We ended up buying a good one and it worked fine....but lets just say I do not enjoy self-set Cam sensors.

Sorry for digging up an older thread.

I'm not an engine guy but would 'Pulse to Sync' allow you to convert an older carb'ed engine to EFI without modifying the internals (too much)?

It sounds like a great feature but I don't have the background to understand how great it is.

Also I couldn't find anything about it on the PE website.

Thanks,
    William

Edit: spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast