+ Reply to Thread

Thread: driver equipment

Hi i need to ask about the driver equipment validity.

Can we keep using the same seatbelt that we used on the previous year competition ? Or should i change it with a new one every year? Or should i just following the validity date on the label ( also for the helmet, arm restaint, and the suit?)

thanks before

All of this is spelled out fairly clearly in the rules. For the belts and helmets, there is an "expiration date" based upon when you bought it.

Everything else these is not, though there really should be. I wouldn't recommend using anything more than 3-5 years old depending on condition. Looks like it's once again time to exercise your "engineering ethics" and decide between a $1,000 steering rack or a safe driver...

Helmet and belts are dated, so that should be easy. Fire suits can be used as long as you NEVER get any fluids on them, i.e., oil, gas (obviously), etc. That also means washing them. Surfactants reduce the effectiveness of the fire-proofing materials. Nomex underwear should be new every year (who wants to wear gnarly stuff from a previous year?). As for hard equipment, I figure if there's never been an impact, and the wear and tear is reasonable, you should be able to get away with a few years worth of use. If something HAS been in a shunt, then it is probably questionable, and as a driver, I don't like questions...

Fikri,
    I agree 100% with BluSTi about not getting fluids on your drivers' suits. So NEVER let someone in a drivers suit work on the car!

Adding to what the others have said, although arm restraints, shoes and gloves, need to be SFI approved, they are not date limited. At scrutineering we do check for frayed arm restraints and for holes in gloves and shoes, especially the gloves.

Dear Canuck, BluSTi and Michael
    Thanks for all the reply to reasure me about the driver equipment rules. These are very helping!

Regards

+ Reply to Thread