+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSAE Lincoln 2012

All-

I just saw the posting on the FSAE website about some of the specifics regarding the Lincoln competition. One concerning thing I saw was the need for a generator. In order to reduce the possibility of 60 or so generators going at the same time, I wanted to throw out the idea of renting a commercial trailer mounted generator for the competition and splitting the cost between teams. We would have to research the costs, but having a decent sized generator would be quieter and would allow welding to be performed, as most small Home Depot generators will not perform well with welders attached. Also, do any teams have a gas powered air compressor? We have a 220V compressor we have used at competitions in the past, but it will probably stall out the generator.

Also, if someone from SAE reads this, maybe they could comment on if teams that agreed to this proposal could be located near each other, to avoid an electrical jungle.

Maybe we can tap into the brakes on USF's bus....

Good luck with the 2012 season

Evan Dimmerling
    Vice President
    Drexel FSAE

All-

I just saw the posting on the FSAE website about some of the specifics regarding the Lincoln competition. One concerning thing I saw was the need for a generator. In order to reduce the possibility of 60 or so generators going at the same time, I wanted to throw out the idea of renting a commercial trailer mounted generator for the competition and splitting the cost between teams. We would have to research the costs, but having a decent sized generator would be quieter and would allow welding to be performed, as most small Home Depot generators will not perform well with welders attached. Also, do any teams have a gas powered air compressor? We have a 220V compressor we have used at competitions in the past, but it will probably stall out the generator.

Also, if someone from SAE reads this, maybe they could comment on if teams that agreed to this proposal could be located near each other, to avoid an electrical jungle.

Maybe we can tap into the brakes on USF's bus....

Good luck with the 2012 season

Evan Dimmerling
    Vice President
    Drexel FSAE

Evan,
    SAE's initial response is No due to we have just returned from the SCCA Solo Nationals event earlier this month where they had over 1100 competitors throughout the week running generators; Noise was not an issue. We do not foresee this being an issue at Formula SAE Lincoln as it was not an issue at Formula SAE VIR where space was far more limited.

Now that is thinking green eh? Lets put more points on fuel economy at an event where every light bulb, power tool, and cell phone charger is power by petrol or diesel!
    mmmm..... Garlic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garlic:
    Now that is thinking green eh? Lets put more points on fuel economy at an event where every light bulb, power tool, and cell phone charger is power by petrol or diesel! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still bent about the economy change? It's been three years, let it go...

As Kaley pointed out, no one complained about this at VIR, and this is standard operating procedure at all BajaSAE competitions. The advantages of Lincoln far outweigh the disadvantages...

I do see a problem in 2013. There will (hopefully) be a bunch of Formula Student Electric cars to charge.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bob.paasch:
    I do see a problem in 2013. There will (hopefully) be a bunch of Formula Student Electric cars to charge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was also my first thought. Powering these cars by generators is of course possible and we considered it this year due to the fact that routing an extra cable from the transformer station is not cheap. But it would seem somehow two-faced to power electric cars by big petrol/diesel generators, even if the main focus of FSE is not being green.

Regards,

Tobias
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

Nationals is quite a bit different than an FSAE event, however. I believe many teams who attended SCCA Nationals had concerns over power at FSAE Lincoln, and the need for generators. Many of whom made you aware of these concerns at the event. (I was told our concerns were passed along to you)

As far as I know, there is one powered area in the lot, so if SAE were to have two large size generators that all teams could tap into on top of the one actual power source, it might make things far, far easier for us all. That, and we all pay the 2k registration fee (some out of pocket) expecting to attend an event that is prepared well and that accommodates the needs of all the teams in attendance.

Bottom line is, if someone doesnt have a generator and cant afford one, that is a big problem. The site is CHEAP and AWESOME, so what can SAE do for everyone? The electric cars in 2013 also bring up a very good point, there is a need, and bringing small generators wont cut it for many things that FSAE requires.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SAE_intl_girl:
    Evan,
    SAE's initial response is No due to we have just returned from the SCCA Solo Nationals event earlier this month where they had over 1100 competitors throughout the week running generators; Noise was not an issue. We do not foresee this being an issue at Formula SAE Lincoln as it was not an issue at Formula SAE VIR where space was far more limited. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TMichaels:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bob.paasch:
    I do see a problem in 2013. There will (hopefully) be a bunch of Formula Student Electric cars to charge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was also my first thought. Powering these cars by generators is of course possible and we considered it this year due to the fact that routing an extra cable from the transformer station is not cheap. But it would seem somehow two-faced to power electric cars by big petrol/diesel generators, even if they main focus of FSE is not being green.

Regards,

Tobias </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will make comparing efficiency between petrol and electric a bit easier, just measure the fuel the generator uses to recharge the electric cars.
    2013-?? Curious alumni
    Monash Motorsport

3272 John Robinson Ln, Dumfries, VA 22026
    I was eagerly waiting for the competition. Just keep on updating the details.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That will make comparing efficiency between petrol and electric a bit easier, just measure the fuel the generator uses to recharge the electric cars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I suppose this was a joke, if not:
    No, it will not, since basically none of the electric energy coming from the mains comes from petrol generators. You have to consider the respective electricity mix.

Regards,

Tobias
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast