+ Reply to Thread

Thread: max lateral frictions coefficient relative to camber

Hello, our team plotted maximal lateral friction coff to camber on different normal loads to find out what optimal camber for a turn with TTC. we got max my at 3.3 -3.5 deg of camber on different normal loads. Is this really reasonable?

Best regards Anders Sundström

Originally posted by andsund:
    ...we got max my at...

My or Fy? Typo perhaps?

Anyhow, this question should be asked at the TTC forum and not the FSAE forum.

http://sae.wsu.edu/ttc/
    Ryan
    University of Akron 2010-2014

Hello Anders,

First question: For which tire? On which rim? At which pressure? (and I am not asking what speed, what wear (difficult to quantify) and what temperature)

I will answer this question if you show HOW you came with this number and what method you use to find these numbers

Do not forget that lateral force Vs slip angle Vs vertical load Vs camber is one thing and that longitudinal force Vs slip ratio Vs vertical load Vs camber is another.

Ideally you need both separately and combined (combined braking and cornering or combined acceleration and cornering for example)

But one think at a time: let's start with lateral grip (or normalized force, which what you call coefficient of friction) and camber: How did you come with 3.3 to 3.5 degrees ideal camber ?

Also who are you? What university / FSAE team do you work with? Unless you have a signature which tells us that it is always nice to introduce your self when you join a forum.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Originally posted by andsund:
    Hello, our team plotted maximal lateral friction coff to camber on different normal loads to find out what optimal camber for a turn with TTC. we got max my at 3.3 -3.5 deg of camber on different normal loads. Is this really reasonable?

and what if it is reasonable? does that make it correct?
    Be confident in your approach and you can be confident in your solution
    --
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    http://illinimotorsports.net

Oh, my apologies for the bad manors, I'm new to writing on the forum and haven't got a signature yet. My name is Anders Sundström, Im from Sweden a University called Linköping University. Im with the formula student team called ELiTH Racing.

To the question, we use Hoosier 20.0 x 7.5 -13 rim 8''. Were using a the parameters and 1996 Pacejka Tire Model from TTC. I know these aren't perfect but its what we have thats working. And were looking at combined. So by some matlab code and the formulas from TTC we end up with a graf with maximum at -3.3 camber. We calculate max lateral force for different slip and calculate then max my, plot to camber.

I understand that we should be confident in what we do, but I was just looking for some feedback. Im sorry for the thread, I thought it was relevant to this forum.

Linköping university - ELiTH Racing

1. My of Fy? I guess you mean FY, correct?

2. "Some" Matlab codes?

3. Can you show at least one graph of FY Vs Alpha for different Fz and different Camber?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Look for the visualization code BillCobb posted a while back. It'll provide a good start for what you're looking for.

Hey andsund,
    I think it's relevant; I think the confusion is whether you mean self-aligning torque (Mz?) or lateral friction coefficient (MUy?). If you meant friction coefficient: from that set of data (raw) it seems the peak is highest with no camber. rmk36 is right though, the TTC forum may be better if you want to look at numbers more specifically. Personally, I wouldn't share code, and of course we can't post pictures:
    Individuals and teams are prohibited from donating or selling the data to any other
    individual, group, team or university, or posting it on the internet. […] The data may not
    be used in any commercial application.
    Austin G.
    Tech. Director of APEX Pro LLC
    Auburn University FSAE
    War Eagle Motorsports
    Chief Chassis Engineer 2013
    Vehicle Dynamics 2010-2012

Looked at this after some data treatment: I can get similar values but they depend greatly on the vertical load used.
    Austin G.
    Tech. Director of APEX Pro LLC
    Auburn University FSAE
    War Eagle Motorsports
    Chief Chassis Engineer 2013
    Vehicle Dynamics 2010-2012

I plotted My to camber. it seems its not legal to show grafs from the ttc as GOOST said, thank claude anyway for the help! I just wanted a second opinion.

yes it depends on different loads.

+ Reply to Thread