+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shallow wet oil sump

hey ,

we are planning a sump reduction on a 2003 f4i PC35.
    According to my calculations i would be able to reduce sump height by 35mm which is achieved by routing the relief valve and modifying the strainer.
    this results in an overall volume reduction of 800 ml of oil in the entire system .(we are adding baffles too )

I would like to know
    - if the loss of 800ml of oil cause any issues according to u guys .
    - i am going to overfill a little to compensate , would there be a problem if the crank vr is completely submerged in oil.

dnt want to take a chance , engines in india cost at about 6-7k euros.

Hiren Patel
    Powertrain Co-ordinator 2007-09
    Orion Racing India
    www.orion-racing.com

hey ,

we are planning a sump reduction on a 2003 f4i PC35.
    According to my calculations i would be able to reduce sump height by 35mm which is achieved by routing the relief valve and modifying the strainer.
    this results in an overall volume reduction of 800 ml of oil in the entire system .(we are adding baffles too )

I would like to know
    - if the loss of 800ml of oil cause any issues according to u guys .
    - i am going to overfill a little to compensate , would there be a problem if the crank vr is completely submerged in oil.

dnt want to take a chance , engines in india cost at about 6-7k euros.

Hiren Patel
    Powertrain Co-ordinator 2007-09
    Orion Racing India
    www.orion-racing.com
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

you don't want the crank to spin around in the oil, it will make you lose power, create alot of foam in the oil and lots of other problems.

I'm no engine guy but keeping the oil sump separated from the crank is very important and many race engines even have separate scraping plates to get rid of oil stuck at the crank.
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

i mean the crank Variable Reluctance sensor only , not the crank
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

You might want to keep an eye on oil temps.
    Karl Jensen
    Oregon State University FSAE
    Engine Team
    http://www.beaverracing.org

Adding a cooler and the plumbing might be able to make up that much volume loss. Not too hard to figure out I imagine.

Agree with Karl, that was my initial concern.

Is the pickup on the 'bottom' of the generator wheel? Will the wheel be spinning in oil? Having no experience on the matter, I can't think why it wouldn't work, you could always move the pickup closer to the wheel, and/or add a scraper in front of the pickup if it ends up causing a problem.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

We've run a reduced depth sump for 4 years now with no adverse affects, although the R6 has a very high crank in comparison to the split line of the sump. I wasn't the one that did the calcs, but if designed properly then you can overcome the worst of the surge problems with decent baffles. There are plenty of cars out there with similar setups and most of the engines can deal with 0Bar oil pressure for a few moments. Hell....the R6 in last years car lasted about 6-7km at high revs with 0 oil pressure at FSG....the engine wasn't exactly happy at the end of those k's but it shows how tough they can be!

If I were you, I'd look at how important lowering your engine is and compare it to the amount of work it requires and time you have. If you can do it properly, do it and justify it in design. If you don't have time, stick with the standard sump and try and lie your driver down a bit more!
    Triumph Motorcycles
    Chassis Design Engineer

FSAE '05-08 UBRacing
    2008 Technical Director and Sprint/Endurance Driver
    2007 Powertrain Team Leader and Sprint/Endurance Driver

Pat talks about Accupump in that article. I found it surprising that there isn't anything about Accupumps on this forum. Does anyone know anything about them, how they are installed and how they work?
    Horace Lai

Accusump, Horace, Accusump =]
    Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast