+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motorcyclist, please look!

So, in the open discussion, the topic of safety has come up. I am just curious as to the safety equipment worn by other riders.

I personally try to always wear:
    jeans
    closed toe shoes-always
    gloves-joe rocket phoenix gloves
    helmet-agv gp1
    Jacket-agv touring-if riding out of town
    -icon milspec vest- in town
    back protector- icon

Honda '00 VTR1000F Superhawk

What do you wear? Also what do you ride?

So, in the open discussion, the topic of safety has come up. I am just curious as to the safety equipment worn by other riders.

I personally try to always wear:
    jeans
    closed toe shoes-always
    gloves-joe rocket phoenix gloves
    helmet-agv gp1
    Jacket-agv touring-if riding out of town
    -icon milspec vest- in town
    back protector- icon

Honda '00 VTR1000F Superhawk

What do you wear? Also what do you ride?

Bill, I try to wear closed toe shoes, jeans, Gloves and a Helmet at all times. As for my riding jacket or pants, it depends on if I plan on riding at speed or just cruising. The heat down here in NC is a big influence on if I wear my Jacket or not.

02' Yamaha R1
    NCSU FSAE 2001-2005

Team Engineer Penske Porsche ALMS P2

I usually wear an AGV ballistic nylon jacket with elbow, shoulder and back pads. I wear 8" red wing boots for journeys, but around town I have been known to wear tennis or dress shoes. Typically I wear blue jeans and a snell approved full face helmet. It is not a modular helmet. I rarely have to worry about heat, but frequently about cold in houghton in order to get a decent riding season. Another big impact is my 1980 GN400 being slow and the 4 hour ride to any sort of freeway. Also drivers are very courteous up there, as opposed to down in detroit. In my humble opinion it is excellent riding no matter where or when you are going.

Greg
    Michigan Tech FSAE

I have seen people lose skin in pretty slow falls when only wearing jeans. I always wear my Kilimanjaro Air jacket and HT overpants made by First Gear. Even when the temps here were getting around 100F, I still wore all my gear. Asphalt hurts, and most accidents occur close to home when riders/drivers are most complacent. In addition to the pants and jacket, I also have Alpinstars leather boots, a couple of different brands of gloves (depending on the weather) and a Shoei RF-1000 helmet. I would also recommend riding with your bright headlight on during the day in order to give other motorists a better chance to see you. Just my two cents. Ride safe everyone.

-Chris, 2005 Suzuki SV1000S
    University Of Washington FSAE
    Engine Team 06-?

Helmets are for pussies!!

That seems to be the mentality of a lot of riders here in Colorado, as there is no helmet law.

Given the above condition, I always wear a full face helmet, leather jacket, race-approved gloves, jeans, and closed-toe shoes on the street. I ride trackdays also, which require for good reason substantial protection.

One of the very few times I've ever ridden in shorts, I received a 2nd degree burn on the back of my left knee from the high-mount exhaust of a vintage Honda CL77. Not fun.

Trackday/mountain canyon riding gear:
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mtg:
    Helmets are for pussies!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I've noticed the same thing for Kansas riders.

I wear a jacket, helmet, gloves, jeans, and boots every time. I have worn a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in 100 degree weather and had no problem as long as you keep air flowing.
    I'm a new rider so I'm especially worried about safety. However, in Kansas all of the roads are straight, but it's Kansas drivers you need to worry about.
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

Greg H,

I assume you live in Wichita. If so, Hallet Motor Racin' Circuit is a pretty short drive away and it's an awesome track. They have trackdays for bikes all the time on the cheap. One of the UMR FSAE alum works at Cessna as well, and has an SV650 (Craig Goodloe).
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

I've got an SV650 as well. I was curious where any kind of track was. Thanks for the info.
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

+ Reply to Thread