+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring? Where to buy (preferably in the UK)

Hi,

I'm looking for a spring to use with a 2.25inch travel shock. The spring rate that I want is about 125lb/inch. But I found that most of the springs with this shock travel length tends to start at at least 250lb/inch.

Does anyone know where I can find suppliers for the springs that I want?

Thanks
    Yunlong Xu
    Full Blue Racing
    University of Cambridge

Hi,

I'm looking for a spring to use with a 2.25inch travel shock. The spring rate that I want is about 125lb/inch. But I found that most of the springs with this shock travel length tends to start at at least 250lb/inch.

Does anyone know where I can find suppliers for the springs that I want?

Thanks
    Yunlong Xu
    Full Blue Racing
    University of Cambridge

Dear Yunlong,

Skegness springs (www.skegsprings.co.uk) can make you bespoke springs to any rate and your dimensions. They offer a quality product but obviously they aren't as cheap as buying something straight off the shelf.

I don't know what dampers you're running so these may not be appropriate but the best value for money set of springs I've come across is the one offered by Motor sport spares in the US, http://www.motorsportsspares.com/fsae.html
    however they don't go as low as 125lb/".

Kaz Technologies offer 125lb/" springs for their range of FSAE style shocks,http://kaztechnologies.com/fsae.html

See you guys at Silverstone!

Howard
    Dr Howard Ash
    University of Hertfordshire
    www.racing.herts.ac.uk

Elka has one with the following dimensions:

7.875inch with stroke of 2.25inch

They will custom make your springs and damper according to your settings.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

It can be a little tough / expensive to find soft springs like that for this application.

One of the advantages of using an installation ratio other than 1.0, is that you can make things such that you can use "stock" springs in the 200+ lbf/in range.

Thanks guys for your help. We can't really afford custom made springs since we are a very small-budget team.

The motorsports spares website do seem to have 150lb/inch springs for 2.25inch travel dampers at a resonable price. So we'll probably go for that.

Another question that I've got is "how do we know if that spring is going to fit our damper"

I see that the damper on the motorsports spares website has the same eye-to-eye length and shock travel as our damper, which is a good thing. So I'm thinking the only things that I need to check now are the inner and outer diameters of the springs(which I can find on their website) since even for dampers of the same length and travel, the tube diametre and the clearance between the tube and the reservoir can be different. (correct?)

Is there anything else that I have left out?
    Yunlong Xu
    Full Blue Racing
    University of Cambridge

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yunlong Xu:
    Thanks guys for your help. We can't really afford custom made springs since we are a very small-budget team.

The motorsports spares website do seem to have 150lb/inch springs for 2.25inch travel dampers at a resonable price. So we'll probably go for that.

Another question that I've got is "how do we know if that spring is going to fit our damper"

I see that the damper on the motorsports spares website has the same eye-to-eye length and shock travel as our damper, which is a good thing. So I'm thinking the only things that I need to check now are the inner and outer diameters of the springs(which I can find on their website) since even for dampers of the same length and travel, the tube diametre and the clearance between the tube and the reservoir can be different. (correct?)

Is there anything else that I have left out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have the damper. Didn't notice that.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

We got our springs custom wounded at Bailaotec in Portugal, they're an industrial-springs manufacturer from Portugal, but they had no problems doing our mtb-shock springs. They did cost about the same as regular mtb springs. Drop them an email, i think the postage won't be that much. http://bailaotec.pt/

Thanks Chris.

I think they've got quite a reasonable price for custom made springs.

How about their quality? We have received springs of unequal length from the previous supplier. And that was not ideal.
    Yunlong Xu
    Full Blue Racing
    University of Cambridge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast