+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manifold design in Solidworks and Ricardo Wave

Hello everyone

First time on the forum.

We are to design and build the intake & exhaust system of Ben Gurion University (Israel) this year.

Is it possible to model the systems in Solidworks, and then import it to Ricardo Wave for flow, heat and acoustis simulations and analysis?

Thanks

Amit & Eyal

It might be easier to build a 1D manifold in Wave (ie: specify the number of bends, straight lengths, etc). If you are just starting out it is not really necessary to couple your 1D model to a 3D model.

The tutorials in Wave are pretty good, I'd suggest that you start there. Good luck!
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

Hello Screaming V8

short answer: thank you.

Long answer:
    I have used the search function, but did not find an answer.
    I have also tried Google, and the rest.

If your in a grumpy mood, keep your thoughts to yourself.
    Who the hell are you to call me lazy and helpless?!?

So, by deduction, the long answer is:
    go f#@k yourself.

--------------------

Hi jd74914,

Thank you for your kind and helpful advice.
    I truly appreciate it.

First off, the above response-awesome!

Second, a little more information.

I am correct in only assuming you have WAVE?

WAVE is a 1-D simulation so it does not operate like CFD software. Like I alluded to above, it allows you to specify pipe sizes and junction geometry to some limit. This is good in terms of basic acoustics, pressure drop, etc., but does not give you the fidelity of a 3-D model. In my opinion, 1-D modeling is often more than sufficient, especially if you are correlating the model to real world results. I have found 1-D models very helpful in understanding entire system interactions. This is the reason I suggested only using WAVE to start above.

What WAVE then lets you do is pull the boundary conditions out (ie: pressure at the valves vs. crank rotation) for use in a 3-D model. You can use really any 3-D CFD software to model after pulling these BCs out. Conveniently, WAVE natively couples to VECTIS, Fluent, and Star-CCM+, so you can import your pressure profiles right into these programs (or even run them in series with your 1-D model).

Hopefully that explanation helps explain a bit further.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

Hi

I don't have WAVE yet.
    I should get it by the end of the week, maybe a bit later.

Thank you very much.

Manifolds: it probably isn't the best form by being rude on this forum, when you're new. There are lots of stupid questions/lazy people going around, so many will give short/curt answers to seemingling lazy requests.

We use Solidworks/GT-POwer, and yes, it can be done. However, the guy who did it on our team in 2011 reported issues with smoothly getting it from SW to GT-Power.

However, it sounds like you're a first year team, so maybe you don't much time to simulate. I'd have a look around at what others are running, and do some basic hand calcs, and then make something solid to dyno/tune the car on.

The reason I'm not really into lots of analysis, is that in 2011, I ppushed the guys to go for a really simple design (log plenum), and while they used GT-Power to decide on runner lengths and exhaust lengths, I think we showed that a really basic design can work quite well. Maybe once you're within 1s/150points of the top team, then maybe all that stuff will matter more. But most FSAE teams suck at execution, so focus more on that.
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

Some of you had mentioned WAVE tutorials? Where can I find them? I have the program and need some assistance in my modeling.

+ Reply to Thread