+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SAE-A membership - will you maintain it?

Hi all,

This thread is mainly aimed at Australian FSAE'ers, although I'd certainly welcome input from outside our shores too. Present competitors and alumni are welcome to contribute their thoughts.

The SAE is very conscious that many of us are signing up for SAE membership purely to attend the competition, and then not renewing membership once we graduate. I personally think this is a great loss, as a Society such as this one can offer networking, education and professional development opportunities for all of us - whether we specifically move into an auto engineering job or whether we just retain an interest in the field. Furthermore, the Society is a not-for-profit organization and relies on memberships to stay afloat - and to continue to provide the FSAE opportunity to future students.

So my questions for discussion:
    Have you, or will you, maintain your SAE-A membership once you have moved on from competing in FSAE. If so, why? If not, why not?
    What sort of events and services would convince you to retain your SAE-A membership?

The questions are being asked in good faith, so I hope responses will be constructive. I've had some interesting discussions privately about this matter, and now it is time to spread the net a little wider and get some opinions from around the country. If you would rather PM me your thoughts than post them publically then that is fine.

Thanks to all, and I look forward to some constructive discussion.
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Hi all,

This thread is mainly aimed at Australian FSAE'ers, although I'd certainly welcome input from outside our shores too. Present competitors and alumni are welcome to contribute their thoughts.

The SAE is very conscious that many of us are signing up for SAE membership purely to attend the competition, and then not renewing membership once we graduate. I personally think this is a great loss, as a Society such as this one can offer networking, education and professional development opportunities for all of us - whether we specifically move into an auto engineering job or whether we just retain an interest in the field. Furthermore, the Society is a not-for-profit organization and relies on memberships to stay afloat - and to continue to provide the FSAE opportunity to future students.

So my questions for discussion:
    Have you, or will you, maintain your SAE-A membership once you have moved on from competing in FSAE. If so, why? If not, why not?
    What sort of events and services would convince you to retain your SAE-A membership?

The questions are being asked in good faith, so I hope responses will be constructive. I've had some interesting discussions privately about this matter, and now it is time to spread the net a little wider and get some opinions from around the country. If you would rather PM me your thoughts than post them publically then that is fine.

Thanks to all, and I look forward to some constructive discussion.
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Hi Geoff,

As for me, I was one of those people that only signed up so I could go to comp, and since graduating I have not renewed my membership. Unfortunately, I can't see myself becoming involved in the Australian automotive industry (not the main players anyway) because the products are just too boring and I've heard plenty of negativity about the work involved. As such, I can't really see the benefit of keeping up my membership for SAE.

The 'benefits' that I saw when I was a member (apart from going to comp) were the newsletter and offers of courses that I couldn't afford. It seems to be along the same lines as Engineers Australia: pay your membership and we take your money... and that's about it.

Events that could convince me to renew my membership: I really don't know. Anything to do with racing would be good, but then I guess SAE would be more like a car club than an engineering club. A day or 2 of competing at a local kart track (like some teams do after comp) or a hill climb would probably be more enjoyable and more cost effective (although the learning opportunities may be somewhat reduced).

I believe the comp entry fee is quite high, so apart from putting comp on and printing a magazine I'm not exactly sure what that and the membership fee is used for.

Anyway, hope I have made some sense and haven't offended anyone.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Thanks Jay, and no offence taken. We are engineers, we deal with facts, you gave your facts. How can we argue with that?

This is exactly the information I'm looking for, so I really appreciate your honesty.

Any similar stories, anyone? All contributions welcomed.

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Geoff,

Sorry, but the answer is an emphatic NO.

I had an SAE membership some years ago, mainly for the 10%(?) discount for books. Most of the dozen+ books I bought were of poor quality, both in content and production (eg. illegible print on one!). Only two of these books were worth the money, and they were of a historical nature (interestingly written by non-English speaking authors).

But it gets worse. It used to be that I could go to a library and quickly browse through SAE paper abstracts. If any looked good I would pull that year's papers from a shelf and quickly browse the articles, and then read any interesting ones at my leisure. Now, on the "interweb" , it takes ages just to browse the abstracts. Then, if any look good, I am expected to go through a longwinded process just so that I can fork out ~ $10 (+?) each to download them!

But wait, it gets even worse!. Many a time I have downloaded a paper (paying my hard-earned for the privilege of using my own electricity, paper and ink!), only to find that the most important figures or graphs haven't printed properly, or at all!!!

Sadly, the SAE seems to be going the same way as the rest of society. Namely, amass any old rubbish you can find, stack it as high as you can, and then charge however much you think the mug punters will pay for it.

Mumble, grumble... (dribbling old git, grrrrr... )

Z

I will continue to renew mine but only so that I may come to the competition as a volunteer again. If it wasnt for my love of FSAE I wouldnt be a SAE-A member.

I am not a automotive engineer (rather the aeronautical type) and am a member of EA, because they seem to have good conferences and seminars (and since moving to my new location they dont even seem to be near me). I havent seen anything acessable from SAE in the same manner.

I just dont think that the average person see's much value from their memberships, more seminars in more locations would be good.

My 2c
    Matthew Chapman

ADFA Racing
    UNSW@ADFA
    2006-2011

As with the others; apologies in advance if I cause offense.

I graduated and didn't maintain my membership.

I can actually get free membership through my work, but I still haven't bothered, for the same reasons as the guys above posted- there's just nothing there for me (that I can see). Here's why:

-I'm busy. If I had extra evening free each week, I'd spend it training. If I had another day again, I'd go to my car club meetings, because my car's club registration is going to get canceled soon due to lack of attendance. I don't need another meeting to go to each week.

- Discount on books is nice, but I don't buy books that often.

- I've never, ever paid for a research paper because it's impossible to tell if it will be useful or not just from the abstract- and I hate wasting money.

- Lectures are interesting, but my brain is wired in such a way that if I don't apply knowledge straight away it vanishes quickly and without a trace, so it's rare that I learn anything from them.

- I never read the newsletters. The content just doesn't interest me- it isn't really relevant to me.

As far as what SAE can do to attract members...

- A discount on the stuff I actually do buy would be more useful: Tools.

- A newsletter that felt more design-informationy and less press-releasy would have me reading it.

- If the membership gave me 4-hours-once-a-week access to the kind of machinery I used at TAFE when I was in FSAE, I'd pay $500 a year.

Anyway, my lunch break is over. Hope what I wrote was constructive.
    --------------------------------
    Monash Motorsport:
    Because you can't make a car shine without abrasives.

Thanks Jay, Z, JRod and Chapo,

The constructive comments are most appreciated, cheers for your honesty and no offence taken. Some good ideas coming forth - any more?

Cheers,

Geoff
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Geoff,
    Typical of what the SAE seems to be offering the membership these days is the email today from Rose, promoting this. http://www.icsat2012.com/

A registration fee of $950 menas that even if I was interested, I could not afford to attend.

My original attraction to SAE was access to the library and to papers, but the last books I bought from the SAE were Carroll's set and the Millikan book.

More recently, books I would have probably bought have been sourced more quickly and cheaply at Amazon or the Book Depository.

Automotive Engineering (capital E) in Australia is changing, has changed, and the SAE needs to adapt or it will go the way of so many other professional organisations. Social customs no longer mean it is important to announce your credentials and affilliations on ones business card. Mine certainly doesn't mention my degree, the SAE, the IAME or any other affilliation I may have.

I am a member of the SAE and will remain so as long as I am judging FSAE or Mentoring SAE students, to do otherwise would not be right, however, without FSAE I imagine I would have let my membership lapse years ago.

I often address meetings of professional organisations, and invariably, I am talking to people who are older than me (at 65, on the cusp of retirement) We (they) have lost the youth! The SAE understood this and invented a great tool to recruit young members (FSAE, of course) but it is easy to see why the students can not be retained when they graduate. The SAE doesn't offer what they want, need or are looking for!

With FSAE in Australia, the SAE don't capitalise, even at the event!

The SAE needs to radically reassess what it offers to members and if I may be so bold, stop pandering to old boffins, a decreasing clique, and realign itself with what the modern iteration of what an 'Automotive Engineer' needs.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Hi Pat,

Every time I try to read one of your posts I get transfixed by that pesky little ant at the top of the page. Round, and round, and round, and...

Oh, sorry. Anyway, now where was I? Aah yes, my one word response - agreed.

I'm in the same boat squire, as are a number of FSAE-A alumni I'm communicating with. There are common themes throughout - loyalty to SAE-A through enthusiasm for FSAE, desire to make a difference and revitalize the SAE-A, questions as to what such a society can offer in the modern era. The good thing is, the SAE-A is welcoming input from newer and younger contributors and seems to be willing to adapt and accommodate necessary change.

One of the things the newer faces are trying to do is to start providing more relevant benefits for SAE-A members, and capture some of the enthusiasm generated by FSAE itself. Some of the ideas that have been discussed include:
    * Engineering software training (free or subsidized depending on package). ADAMS? Nastran? CAD?
    * Cheap or free activities, e.g. company/factory tours (V8 teams, OEMs, suppliers...)
    * Job-seeking assistance such as careers fairs, networking days at automotive companies.
    * Technical seminars (Ideas anyone? "How to manage an FSAE project"? "How to set up an engine management system"? "How to weld"? "How to restore an old car"?
    * Social activities to bring experienced and novice engineers together (brewery/winery tours, group gatherings at MotoGP/F1/local V8 supercar rounds, go kart nights, organized trail bike rides, etc etc).

These are just a few random ideas, but the whole crux of it is we should build on the friendships built and enthusiasm generated by FSAE and try to establish a sort of "community of peers", who network together to help each other no matter what professional field we may finally end up in. So I see a "Society of Engineers Interested in Auto Stuff" rather than a "Society of Professional Engineers Specifically Employed in the Design & Manufacture of Passenger Cars"

Of course, this ain't going to change overnight, and maybe some of the above ideas are off-the-mark or impractical. But we can start by having the conversation, and see what we can design and implement from there. Design, build, test...

Cheers all,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast