+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Rule I Found The Hard Way ...

Not going to get into specifics. Inquire to the rules commity and maybe they will post a notification about it. Your steering wheel can not be more than 10 inches from the front roll hoop. Doesnt specify in the rules but we got called on it when I submitted rules confirmation on the front hoop and bulkhead supports. This is 10" longitudal distance, tangental from the edge of the front roll hoop and the steering wheel. Will probably only affect a few cars out there but this is being mandated by the rules commity. The word "proximity" actually means "within 10 inches" for rule 3.3.1 B. I cant tell you how aggravated I am but at least they (Michael Royce in particular) have been responsive and nice and have given us a reasonable option to to meet the rules. This is defintely going to make part of my car ungainly and misplaced which also drives me up the wall because of how particular I am.

Not going to get into specifics. Inquire to the rules commity and maybe they will post a notification about it. Your steering wheel can not be more than 10 inches from the front roll hoop. Doesnt specify in the rules but we got called on it when I submitted rules confirmation on the front hoop and bulkhead supports. This is 10" longitudal distance, tangental from the edge of the front roll hoop and the steering wheel. Will probably only affect a few cars out there but this is being mandated by the rules commity. The word "proximity" actually means "within 10 inches" for rule 3.3.1 B. I cant tell you how aggravated I am but at least they (Michael Royce in particular) have been responsive and nice and have given us a reasonable option to to meet the rules. This is defintely going to make part of my car ungainly and misplaced which also drives me up the wall because of how particular I am.

Crap

I have to go measure that now, we're going to be close.
    Michigan Technological University Formula SAE Alumni

Rob, thanks for the heads up on our car as well.

Do you know any further clarification? Since rollhoops and steering wheels are often at angles, and have at least an inch of thickness.
    Martin Raska
    UBC FSAE 2003-2007
    www.formulaubc.com

In 2004 Formula Student we didn't had a problem with this:

The front hoop is were the dampers are attached.

we found this out yesterday as well... and we were only asking about the height of the wheel. Looks like we have some cutting to do...
    04 - Engine Team
    05 - Team Captain
    Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raska:
    Do you know any further clarification? Since rollhoops and steering wheels are often at angles, and have at least an inch of thickness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said. Look at the car in the side view. Measure from the tangent of the surfaces of the front roll hoop to the steering wheel bar. This is how i understand the rule. Take a ruler and measure the distance with the ruler being parallel to the ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they (Michael Royce in particular) have been responsive and nice and have given us a reasonable option to to meet the rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What option did they give you? They didnt give us any option. Any help would be appreciated. For us to meet that 10" rule, would almost require us to redo the entire front end of the frame.
    04 - Engine Team
    05 - Team Captain
    Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA

slightly more information...

link
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast