+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tuning without dyno. !!

You know, back in the dark ages all tuning was done without a wideband It is possible.

We are currently tuning a very small single cylinder aiplane engine without the use of our wideband because of size and packaging issues.

Also, I have seen some crazy tuning on these restricted 600cc engines over the years and my experience is that unless you have made internal modifications, run forced induction or have oil starvation problems they are virtually bullet proof. It is not easy to damage the engine just by having an incorrect tune.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

I agree that tuning can be acheived without a wideband, however this would be done by someone with lots of experience. With too much ignition timing it is easy to cause ireperable damage to the engine.
    Branden Wittenauer
    2008-current
    Engine team Leader
    The Ohio State University

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ignition-Kid:
    This will really hurt our budget, but i will try my best to get one soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is going to be a dealbreaker on your budget, FSAE might not be a great idea!

-Kirk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Feldkamp:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ignition-Kid:
    This will really hurt our budget, but i will try my best to get one soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is going to be a dealbreaker on your budget, FSAE might not be a great idea!

-Kirk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I managed to get me one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuckeyeEngines:
    I agree that tuning can be acheived without a wideband, however this would be done by someone with lots of experience. With too much ignition timing it is easy to cause ireperable damage to the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, the PE maxes out at 50 degrees, so you're not going to destroy it. We've run it with the trigger wheel off a tooth, and the worst we've experienced was red-hot headers (retarded,) and on the other side, really low power (advanced)

That engine still runs 3 years later.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

And if I remember correctly Wes, pretty damn good for non-dyno tune.
    Sooner Racing Team
    University of Oklahoma
    Chief Engineer 08-09
    Team Captain 06-08

sae.ou.edu

Brian, I would normally defer to your expertise when it comes to these matters, but I'm with Buckeye here. A team in Egypt will have serious problems securing a replacement if they nuke an engine; better to err way on the side of caution. The first time you tune an engine, it should either be under the wing of a master, or with every technological aid (and an understanding of same) you can lay hands on.
    "The highest happiness of man is to have probed what is knowable, and to quietly revere what is unknowable."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Geothe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ockham:
    Brian, I would normally defer to your expertise when it comes to these matters, but I'm with Buckeye here. A team in Egypt will have serious problems securing a replacement if they nuke an engine; better to err way on the side of caution. The first time you tune an engine, it should either be under the wing of a master, or with every technological aid (and an understanding of same) you can lay hands on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually We have two engines ( Brand New ), we bought like 4 books from amazon.com ( For the tuning process only ), Got our LC-1, We are doing our best to Reach our Goal !

Sounds like you guys know what you're doing, first-timers or not. Good to hear.
    "The highest happiness of man is to have probed what is knowable, and to quietly revere what is unknowable."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Geothe

We're running a Honda CBR 600RR (2006) on the PE ECU with a 35mm throttle body bore, semi-sequential injection and wasted spark ignition.

We've bought Innovate's LC-1 kit, we've been tuning for a while now. I've read the books on engine tuning by Greg Banish and Dave Walker. However we still haven't been able to get our engine past 7500 rpm.
    I think it might be because the ignition timing we are running is too far advanced but when I retard I get a lot of back fire in the exhaust.
    There is also have backfire in our intake manifold from time to time and our MAP sensor is malfunctioning currently. However we're using TPS as load and we've selected the "No MAP sensor" option in the sensor setup. Also could the MAP sensor have been affected by the backfire in the intake?

I've posted the fuel and ignition maps here because I really want to know if I'm somewhere in the ballpark. On this map the engine is going up to 7500 rpm even at low throttle percentage (30%) which also makes me wonder if the 35mm throttle bore is too large.

Yesterday my lambda sensor started showing very very lean values even when the engine was running well. I don't have another lambda right now and a new one will take atleast a week to arrive. Do lambdas get spoilt easily? It's been used for only a couple of months although the mixtures were quite rich.

Thanks
    Pradeep V. Pandurangi

DUT Racing Team, TU Delft
    2013: Chassis engineer
    www.dutracing.nl

Formula Manipal, Manipal University
    2010: Team Leader
    2009: Engine team
    http://www.formulamanipal.in

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast