+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning without dyno. !!

Anyone did that before ?

I know that you will have no feedback to your modification at all, I am not asking about squeezing every drop of performance out of the engine, I am just wondering, Is it possible ?

Anyone did that before ?

I know that you will have no feedback to your modification at all, I am not asking about squeezing every drop of performance out of the engine, I am just wondering, Is it possible ?

Yes, it's possible and not hard with a AFR, TPS, MAP and RPM data acquisition. But it's better if you do this on dyno and them some fine tuning on track. Do you have any ignition timimg map for your engine?
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 - Formula FEI Racing Team
    2008, 2009, 2010 - Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Brazil

You will be able to calibrate the engine to a set of parameters (AFR/lambda, an ignition map, etc), but you will really have no idea what's happening within the system. I was blown away by the automatic tuning capability of the MegaSquirt on a car I'm involved with, but again, you don't really know if what you have tuned the system to is "optimal" in any regard. Dynos are simply a way to repeatably and reliably simulate loading conditions for the engine. Once you're able to do that it's possible to understand the effects of the changes you make on the system. Are your lambda targets reasonable? Is your ignition map anywhere close to minimum best timing (MBT)? If those two things are far enough off, you can easily hurt your engine, or miss out on a huge amount of performance. If you do some reading about these areas and understand where you should start, then you can probably get a reasonable calibration without a dyno. As soon as you want to start looking at improving your system, you're going to need a dyno.

-Kirk

Call some places with chassis dynos in the area, they are usually happy to help out with cost or donate time. You get their name out and they get to be involved in a cool project. We've had pretty good luck with that. Just make sure you can at least drive around a little bit with the tune you have, that way you don't waste their time at the dyno (we've made that mistake).
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

First you have to tune it a bit on the road and then on a chassis dyno, if you don't have your own dyno.
    Yes you can run safely on the event with a road tune, but not full potential.
    Chris Doukas
    U.o.P Racing Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kira_vtec:
    Yes, it's possible and not hard with a AFR, TPS, MAP and RPM data acquisition. But it's better if you do this on dyno and them some fine tuning on track. Do you have any ignition timimg map for your engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a brand new 2009 Honda cbr600rr engine , A PE stand alone Ecu, And i am planning to use the base map on the PE website to start with, We don't have dynos here in Egypt, We can't afford buying a wide-band O2 senor and a controller at the moment, I just need a stable, moderate engine performance, And i guess from your replies guys that it is a possible thing to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ignition-Kid:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kira_vtec:
    Yes, it's possible and not hard with a AFR, TPS, MAP and RPM data acquisition. But it's better if you do this on dyno and them some fine tuning on track. Do you have any ignition timimg map for your engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a brand new 2009 Honda cbr600rr engine , A PE stand alone Ecu, And i am planning to use the base map on the PE website to start with, We don't have dynos here in Egypt, We can't afford buying a wide-band O2 senor and a controller at the moment, I just need a stable, moderate engine performance, And i guess from your replies guys that it is a possible thing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hope you have a good sense of smell and can read plugs well if you hope to get a decent tune without any O2 sensor.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ignition-Kid:

I have a brand new 2009 Honda cbr600rr engine , A PE stand alone Ecu, And i am planning to use the base map on the PE website to start with, We don't have dynos here in Egypt, We can't afford buying a wide-band O2 senor and a controller at the moment, I just need a stable, moderate engine performance, And i guess from your replies guys that it is a possible thing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hope you have a good sense of smell and can read plugs well if you hope to get a decent tune without any O2 sensor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Stock O2 sensor !!

Aha, at last you got your engine. Mabrouk!
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast