+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double Wishbone Shape

Whilst designing the chassis, I'm trying to decide at the rear, whether to have a standard shape double wishbone (A shape) or have the wishbone arms swept and facing forwards, in order to shorten and save some weight on the chassis.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to these two shapes of wishbones?

Don't you mean swept backwards? Thus shortening the chassis whilst keeping the 60" minimum WB?

When will the 55" revision be implemented??

Deformation = P*L / A*E if I recall correctly.

What is the P on each of the control arm tubes? Draw a FBD.
    What is the deformation of each of the control arm tubes?
    How does this effect your rear toe?
    Is that deflection an acceptable amount of toe deflection?
    How much toe deflection is too much?

It's kinda one of those things you have to make a judgement call on.
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

In addition to all of the great considerations Scott pointed out, you must consider a few things:

The chassis geometry and location of nodes will be dramatically affected by the geometry of the wishbones, engine location, and a host of other factors.

The shape / geometry of the wishbones should accommodate the suspension points that provide you with what you or your suspension team have decided to be the optimal kinematic performance of the system.

Load paths from the wheel to the chassis and the impact of control arm geometry on them (ie. acute angles may amplify loads input to the frame).
    Team Captain FW-12
    Vehicle Development FW-11
    Team Captain FW-10
    Suspension FW-08

Tomgwill98,

We see these swept back wishbones on a few cars each year. The judges call them 'Supersonic A arms'.

I have never seen a car like this that had a satisfactory lack of toe compliance and on track the cars are unstable and very difficult to drive.

That is not to say it cannot be done, but if you do you can expect to sit blindfolded in a dark soundproofed room with the Judges, with a bright light shining in your eyes and a cattle prod in the judges hands! =]

In other words, be prepared for an inquisition!

Try to keep your load paths direct!

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Pat - I'm not sure I agree with the fact that the cars are unstable and difficult to drive.

If packaging necessitates a supersonic A-Arm, then you just have to make A and E super stiff! This comes at the expense of added unsprung weight.

For instance, if you needed to get the rear leg of the RL wishbones out of the way of your double diffuser...

But silliness aside, the interesting part is there's no minimum weight in FSAE. And having 'isosceles' or 'right' triangle RCA's (in top view) will most definitely necessitate the addition of structure rearward of the rear axles.

I'm not sure what the correct solution is, though hopefully someone designing the rear end of an FSAE car will read this and bring more info to their next design judging event.
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

Scott,

Your Red Bull example does not illustrate what I am talking about. Rearward trailing arms as the forward link in rear wishbones has been successfully used for eons.

What I was describing is a design where both front and rear arms in the wishbone/A arm sweep backwards.

In the Red Bull, the rear links are approximately at right angles and so react the cornering forces directly.

Your picture is taken at an oblique angle and so is somewhat distorted. Look at this view from above and you will see the rear legs are about at right angles to the vehicle centerline.

http://www.f1-site.com/wallpap...r-f1-car-2009-10.jpg

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Originally posted by PatClarke:
    Tomgwill98,

We see these swept back wishbones on a few cars each year. The judges call them 'Supersonic A arms'.

I have never seen a car like this that had a satisfactory lack of toe compliance and on track the cars are unstable and very difficult to drive.

That is not to say it cannot be done, but if you do you can expect to sit blindfolded in a dark soundproofed room with the Judges, with a bright light shining in your eyes and a cattle prod in the judges hands! =]

In other words, be prepared for an inquisition!

Pat
    Thank you for the insight Pat. We did have these "Supersonic A-Arms" on our '09 car but I did not get any news from my seniors that they were keenly looked at, but there were other issues then. I agree with your lack of toe compliance opinion and this part of the design should be looked into as well as keeping the load paths direct.
    Thanks again Pat!
    Ashwa Racing '07- Random guy
    Ashwa Racing '08-Procurement, Workshop Management
    Ashwa Racing '09- Chassis and Suspension Intern, Bodywork guy
    Ashwa Racing '10- Chassis lead, Suspension, Bodywork guy
    Ashwa Racing '11- Team Management

Originally posted by PatClarke:
    Tomgwill98,

Pat
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/topview.jpg/

is that exactly what a supersonic-Aarm is (at rear upper wisbones)
    LIFE IS SIMPLE....We only work... to make things more complicated.....

We used 'supersonic' wishbones for the past few years, and had no problems with rear stability.

In fact Pat, you put your 'seal of approval' on our sticker at FSUK this year. One of the design judges at FSG also mentioned that our suspension system was one of the best present (though having our entire unsprung department missing at FSG didn't help)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast