+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: longitudinal tire stiffness

what are the general values for longitudinal tire stiffness for slicks??

Have you tried measuring any?
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Originally posted by MCoach:
    how do i measure it ??

Originally posted by shanchan:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCoach:
    how do i measure it ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know what it is you are trying to measure?
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

Originally posted by M. Nader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanchan:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCoach:
    how do i measure it ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know what it is you are trying to measure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am trying to calculate the longitudinal force , for that i need the values for longitudinal tire stiffnes

With respect to Pacejka's Tire and Vehicle Dynamics, what you are looking for is listed here.
    F_x = C_Fk*k

F_x: Longitudinal force
    C_Fk: Longitudinal slip stiffness
    k: Longitudinal slip ratio

If you are capable of measuring the slip stiffness and the slip ratio, then by all means, calculate the force, but some might say that you are taking the hard way out of this. How about this--just measure the longitudinal force.

Most people find the forces and then calculate the stiffness.

Can you think of a way to measure or estimate the force?
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Originally posted by MCoach:
    With respect to Pacejka's Tire and Vehicle Dynamics, what you are looking for is listed here.
    F_x = C_Fk*k

F_x: Longitudinal force
    C_Fk: Longitudinal slip stiffness
    k: Longitudinal slip ratio

If you are capable of measuring the slip stiffness and the slip ratio, then by all means, calculate the force, but some might say that you are taking the hard way out of this. How about this--just measure the longitudinal force.

Most people find the forces and then calculate the stiffness.

Can you think of a way to measure or estimate the force?
    as i mentioned above, i need the value of this constant to calculate force.... is there any other alternative way to calculate this force??

Are you trying to calculate the max longitudinal force that can be used?
    do you have access to the TTC?
    can you estimate vehicle weight and weight transfer?

You can estimate you force by estimating an actual coefficient of friction (data for that can be found on the forum as TTC data are quite theoretical) and the weight and weight transfer for each case.

if you have access to TTC, you can get most stiffness-es but won't be accurate unless you use Pacejka scaling factors and know what you are scaling to.
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

You might be able to make an estimate of longitudinal tire stiffness using the series of equations found in Purdy - Mathematics underlying the design of pneumatic tires. I really wouldn't recommend opening that book though. You'll go cross eyed.

Also, longitudinal stiffness isn't the same as braking stiffness. Unless you are trying to tune a tire design for ABS and don't have access to a flat-track or traction trailer I don't know that longitudinal stiffness is worth figuring out.

if you have access to TTC, you can get most stiffness-es but won't be accurate unless you use Pacejka scaling factors and know what you are scaling to.
    Braking stiffness and cornering stiffness are largely surface independent. Small slip angles or slip ratios mean limited slip inside the footprint. Limited slip means friction isn't the primary factor driving your reaction forces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast