+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aussies show your cars!

I am upset there are still no pictures posted

Edith Cowan Racing, Joondalup, Western Australia
    I would post a pic of the car, but it's in a million pieces.

Some teasers of some parts that will be appearing on our first ever car...

Our completed hubs

Nearly completed Differential Assembly. The Center still needed some machining at the time of the photo, but has since been completed.
    Kind Regards,

Chris Lane
    Design Team Leader - ECR 2008
    http://engineering.ecu.edu.au/ecr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Race Tape is like 'The Force'. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the Unive

Originally posted by Chris Lane:
    I would post a pic of the car, but it's in a million pieces.

Some teasers of some parts that will be appearing on our first ever car...

Our completed hubs

Nearly completed Differential Assembly. The Center still needed some machining at the time of the photo, but has since been completed.
    see now chris has the right idea! top stuff chris.

anyone else care to pick up their game?

There's a bunch of oldish UARC08 pics on our website... mostly of parts in manufacture. www.uarc.com.au
    --------------------------------------------
    Technical Director UARC 2007

http://formula-sae.adelaide.edu.au

we were rolling on monday. just waiting on a few bits and pieces to get back before we drive.

we tried to fit more people in but too bad

some windtunnel snaps

enjoy
    Monash FSAE (2005-2009)
    www.monashmotorsport.com

Edith Cowan Racing, Joondalup, Western Australia
    Looks fantastic!

I really do envy your aero testing capabilities. I would really like to at least build a scale tunnel of some sort in the future.

I reckon we'll be rolling within a week if everything goes to plan, and our wheels clear customs in time. Damn customs...
    Kind Regards,

Chris Lane
    Design Team Leader - ECR 2008
    http://engineering.ecu.edu.au/ecr
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Race Tape is like 'The Force'. It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the Unive

Originally posted by Brett Neale:
    There's a bunch of oldish UARC08 pics on our website... mostly of parts in manufacture. www.uarc.com.au
    liking those uprights brett!!

Originally posted by repeatoffender:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brett Neale:
    liking those uprights brett!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adelaide have always had very nice fabbed uprights.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but on the front upright are your upper and lower rod end mounts in single shear?(also lower upright on the rear?)

I remember Pat chewing out some deign about single shear rod-ends. Please tell me I'm missing something?
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

Single shear pickups shouldn't be a problem if you know all the problems associated with it and design the upright to make sure it's as stiff and strong as a double shear pickup.

UWA have been running single shear pickups for donkeys and I don't see them having any problem in design simply because they have justified the design. I was looking at single shear lower pickups this year to allow for rapid roll centre adjustment, but I couldn't ensure the same performance as double shear. Each to their own.

Below are the '08 cars uprights, fronts weigh in at 650g and rears are a little on the heavy 850g side because the CV's run inside the hub so the bearings had to be quite large. It's cool to see the different ideas on upright design.

Monash FSAE (2005-2009)
    www.monashmotorsport.com

Originally posted by Kirby:
    Adelaide have always had very nice fabbed uprights.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but on the front upright are your upper and lower rod end mounts in single shear?(also lower upright on the rear?)

I remember Pat chewing out some deign about single shear rod-ends. Please tell me I'm missing something?
    Yes the pick up points are only in single shear, but the FEAs have shown negligible compliance at the pin. Also, our wishbones do not use rod ends, they are spherical bearings mounted in the wishbone.

As pointed out by Fil, UWA ran their uprights like this last year and so did we. Neither of us had issues, so I believe it is fine. Hopefully Pat Clark is a bit more lenient of if it's single shear without rod ends

Our uprights have come up as 600g on the front and 690g on the rear with basically the same stiffness as last year, so we're quite happy with them.
    University of Adelaide Racing Concepts 08

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast