+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hey all you Aussies...

Sorry AP, I hadn't even seen this thread. Apologies that you haven't received many responses from down here, I can't speak for others but I don't check Off-Topic too often.

I'm not too good on your temp scale, but from what I can interpret you prefer a colder climate? Newcastle is north of Sydney, and from what I know of Sydney weather it is pretty good - verging on the warmer side. And yep, you got the seasons right. I'm from Melbourne, and down here it starts getting warm in November and remains that way until around March. Cold months May until around September. General temp range in Melbourne - in summer we'll get around 5 or 6 days in the 40's (Celsius), averaging around 30 - in winter, rarely gets below 2-3 degrees, usually around 10-15. Used to rain a bit, but we are in a drought right now.

We sorta talk funny apparently - I never truly realized this until our US trip earlier this year and couldn't even order at Subway without being asked to repeat myself. Be prepared to speak very slowly and gesture a lot to make yourself understood. About the only crew I could easily communicate with were the Texans, and maybe that was because I grew up on a farm.

We drive on the wrong side of the road - or you guys drive on the wrong side of the road. Whatever, it will spin your brain the first time you have to deal with it.

I agree with all the points that Charlie raises above, I think he has summed up the situation pretty well. Unfortunately we are a bit divided as a nation right now, probably more so than at any other time in our history. We have a deeply conservative federal government that has aligned itself heavily with the Bush government and US policy, and this has upset a lot of people - particularly in relation to the Iraq war and the Kyoto protocol. Having said that though, I'd say the overwhelming majority of Australians will be extremely hospitable and welcoming. Most are smart enough to realize that current trends in world politics can't be directed towards individual citizens - and besides anyone who has to endure the flight down here deserves a little respect!

Anyway, if you do make it down here to Oz make sure that you come to our FSAE comp (in Melbourne in December). And if you do, make sure that you drop in to RMIT and we'd be glad to show you around.

Cheers
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Hey Geoff,

Funny about the accent thing. I talked to Erik Zapletal on the phone and I couldnt push my ear into the phone enough to understand him at times. I made it through but only because he stopped about every third sentance do so "understand?". But you are right about hand gestures. Would have been a lot easier in person. Did you get my pm that I sent to you about a month ago?

Thanks Big Bird, I feel welcome already . The temps sound perfect. I don't prefer cold temps, but I can handle them better than warmer ones. I did some converting, and -40F = -40C, but that was not a good night. It literally hurt to touch my car after we got done in the shop. I remember I had to jump somebody's 200X Silverado with my 1990 Corolla. Toyota Power! 30C = 85F, and an average low of 15C? That's 55F, I'll be wearin shorts all year! 25C would be ideal, but I can definately handle 30. Sounds awesome. Not sure if I can do your second semester. I'll check, but it depends on the courses offered and all that stuff.
    As far as your accent, I was talking to someone from Western Australia at Detroit, and it was so thick I had trouble understanding him. It was like someone who had english as their second language was talking to me.

It'll be awesome coming back to the states with an australian accent, though! I can't wait! a) just to fuck with people, and b) american chicks go crazy over people with foreign accents.
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Rob,

Thanks mate - and yep, got your pm a few weeks back. Unfortunately it has been a bit nuts over the past few weeks and I've had to push a lot of personal and FSAE stuff to the back-burner. Apologies if this has stuffed you around. I plan to get onto all my unanswered mails and stuff over the Xmas/New Year break.

AP, the funny thing is if you go to England there are so many accents that you'd think they speak English as a second language as well.

And as for American chicks going crazy over guys with foreign accents - well trust me to spend my time hanging around engineering faculties and going to an engineering comp. I barely met a girl the whole time I was there. Next time I'm going to an American nursing conference instead

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2