+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Texas Autocross Weekend at UTA

We are planning to have our third annual "Texas Autocross Weekend" this summer during the weekend of 23 – 25 July 2004. The original intent was to get the local teams from Texas and Oklahoma together, but it seems to have grown to much wider boundaries to include Kansas, Ohio, New Mexico, and Canada. The intent is to get teams and cars together for a practice session on Saturday and then attend a local SCCA autocross on Sunday.

Here is the schedule:

Friday afternoon: - Open house and open shop at UTA. Tour of our facility and see twenty years of FSAE car evolution, car repair, tire changing, shop talk, etc.

Friday evening: - Social at my house (space permitting). Magazines, photos, FSAE videos, games and puzzles.

Saturday: - We will setup some racetracks on our large asphalt parking lot. We will setup the 1998 FSAE endurance course, and a more open longer course. We will have SCCA timing and can record every run for your records.

Saturday evening: - Eat together at a cafeteria. Early to bed.

Sunday: - Attend the Texas Region's SCCA regional autocross. It is located about 30 minutes from campus and has a relatively small concrete parking lot. They will allow 3 or possibly 4 drivers per car instead of the normal limit of 2.

Accommodations: - There is a motel directly across the street from our UTA track. They have reasonable rates. We can park trailers on our parking lot (track) overnight.

Our shop will be available Saturday for repairs or do-it-yourself tire changes.

We will need to know if you plan to attend. Please contact me directly for further communications.

Dr. Bob Woods
    Faculty Advisor, UTA
    woods@mae.uta.edu

I imagine a few of our guys from A&M will be there, most likely Jeff and Vincent. Our car was designed with traction control, but didn't test it out enough for competition, so we might be using it there.
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE
    2004 Texas A&M FSAE - Suspension

Looks like Cincinnati will be there. Looking forward to it!

B.J. Stoney
    B.J. Stoney
    Bearcat Motorsports Alumni '02-'07
    University of Cincinnati
    benjamin.stoney@gmail.com

Wouldn't miss it.
    -Steve Yao
    UNM LoboMotorsports '03-'05
    UWashington Formula SAE '06-'08

If free plane tickets from Wisconsin are provided, or the funds to ship our car out there count me in
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Just thought I would add my own two cents here.

This event finally gives us the opportunity to do what these cars were intended to do. And frankly, I am disappointed that nobody really got to see our car driven to its limits in Detroit. Driving the autocross in the wet was exactly a testament to the car, but that's how things worked out for us. Our first enduro driver did what he was instructed to do, he was just below the limits of the car.

If shipping the car is a problem, maybe we can help out a bit by offering some free rooms in team member's apartments. Anything we can do to help out and get more people here is possible. Anyone who has come to the past events should post something about your experience here. Its great meeting new people, and having those people show up in Detroit touting their new cars. It really gives you something to look forward to.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I know everyone on our team here gets a lot out of the experience as well.

Hope to see you all (y'all) here!
    - Erick

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 pit stop '07)
    FSAE Australasia '00
    FSAE Japan '04

Erick,
    I don't remember the guy's name..but Cinti, OSU, and Akron guys all went back to his place last summer and had a good 'ole time one of the nights during the weekend. I think it must have been Saturday night. Let me know if it was you, or who it might have been. I think he drove a Mustang if I remember correctly....

Sorry for the vagueness, but you just struck my memory. We'll have to get together again in July when we are there. Lata~!
    B.J.
    B.J. Stoney
    University of Cincinnati

B.J.

I think that was another guy, Dustin, that had a mustang. I too drive one, but I don't think it was me. I know we had a good time at Gilligan's one night before U of NM left. Well, we can always hang out again this year. I want to see that trailer packed with six cars or however many it was. That was a modern engineering marvel in itself!
    - Erick

FSAE Australasia '00
    FSAE Japan '04

Erick,
    You haven't seen anything yet....

Hopefully 9 (yes 9) Ohio cars....3 from each of us....so long as we can get Akron and OSU on the ball...but it looks like we'll have 3 from Cinti.

Looking forward to making it back down...
    B.J.
    B.J. Stoney
    University of Cincinnati

B.J.

9 cars from Ohio alone..... wow. We might want to start looking at a cap. Just kidding. The more the merrier I say! You guys should consider trying to make it to Nationals in Topeka. That is another great experience in itself! And if you want to go, you should check your local region SCCA for Divisionals. Enter now, or pay the late fee!
    - Erick

FSAE Australasia '00
    FSAE Japan '04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast