+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open differential for FSAE competitions in USA?

Where I can find a Open differential for FSAE competitions in USA? I need a diff cheap or easy to find... I prefer the first one choice... Thanks

Where I can find a Open differential for FSAE competitions in USA? I need a diff cheap or easy to find... I prefer the first one choice... Thanks

Why open? If I were to go the cheap route I'd just run a spool. Much lighter and easier anyway. Besides, you'd be absolutely screwed traction-wise with an open diff.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

well i need an open diff for make some tests for the university here in venezuela. Thanks for your help buddy

Hmm...so the top requirements are cheap and easy to find... my first thought is an old golf cart. Haven't had the rear end of one apart, but I'm imagining it would be similar to an automotive open diff. Could probably adapt it for FSAE use in a similar manner to how Taylor Racing modifies Honda Quaiffe diffs for chain-drive FSAE use (google it, they have some good pics on their website). Just work out a sprocket mounting, add some sort of outer case to seal up the spider gears, pack it full of grease and run with it.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Could probably get one from Polaris. They sponsor baja heavily.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Wich team are you from?...
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

Ok I got it. Thanks buddy!

Es vendado angelo jajaja

lunior, did you have any luck finding a diff finally? We're also interested in testing with an open differential.
    ----
    Paul Achard
    McGill Racing Team

+ Reply to Thread