+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5- axis / wire EDM cam software package

My university recently acquired a new 5-axis Haas VMC, unfortunately our current Cam software (surfcam 4.0) isn't really up to the challenge of 5-axis machining. In exchange for access to the machine the department has asked our FSAE team to design a few parts that require 5-axis machining and evaluate the several software packages. Eventually the chosen software will be made the primary CAM package for the Uni. We are evaluating CAD to cut time, quality of post processes, associativity with solid works, gouging of the finished part, and ease of use. Currently we are looking at Surfcam 5.0, mastercam, espirt, and solidcam.

Also the package must be able to do Wire EDM.

Please post if you have had any good or bad experiences with the packages we're looking at, or if you have a different package to suggest. I have read the other threads about this, but the most recent was in 2008, 2 years is a long time for this kind of software.

Thanks,

William
    NCSU
    Wolfpack MotorSports

My university recently acquired a new 5-axis Haas VMC, unfortunately our current Cam software (surfcam 4.0) isn't really up to the challenge of 5-axis machining. In exchange for access to the machine the department has asked our FSAE team to design a few parts that require 5-axis machining and evaluate the several software packages. Eventually the chosen software will be made the primary CAM package for the Uni. We are evaluating CAD to cut time, quality of post processes, associativity with solid works, gouging of the finished part, and ease of use. Currently we are looking at Surfcam 5.0, mastercam, espirt, and solidcam.

Also the package must be able to do Wire EDM.

Please post if you have had any good or bad experiences with the packages we're looking at, or if you have a different package to suggest. I have read the other threads about this, but the most recent was in 2008, 2 years is a long time for this kind of software.

Thanks,

William
    NCSU
    Wolfpack MotorSports

MasterCAM is an excellent software package. We had it at my previous university and its quite easy to use. It can definitely interface with most CAD packages, but can also load parasolid, step or Iges files.

I have never used it for 5-axis or wire EDM, but we have done some rotary axis machining with it and its quite easy to make toolpaths with. I would highly recommend it.
    Stefan Nasello
    Queens University Racing - Project Manager 2009
    Rennstall Esslingen - Suspension Team 2010

www.qfsae.com
    www.rennstall-esslingen.de

We've been using MasterCAM for many years with great success. Its interface can be a little quirky (ok, ok, downright irritating at times) but the actual CAM algorithms are efficient and work well. We have the latest version that supposedly interfaces with SolidWorks but it's been glitchy for us. We mostly use the standalone version.

We tried switching to SolidCAM a few years ago when we were offered a free version. It had far fewer features and options and its pathing was terrible. It had only one pathing option - true spiral - which takes longer than other pocketing types. It didn't have the ability to keep the tool down during depth cuts so it would cut a depth, retract, cut the next depth, retract...

Maybe they've fixed the issues but as of my last attempt on SolidCAM I was unimpressed. I was the only one on our team that gave it a solid attempt but after a month of cutting parts at a snail's pace I switched back to MasterCAM.

+1 for MasterCAM

We use MasterCAM on our 5axis mills here at work, although I don't personally. From what I'm told and seen it works very well. Also used Mastercam back at school on 3 and 4 axis machines.

I've done MasterCAM up to 4-axis... and while yes it can be anywhere from quirky to to quite quirky it does get the job done. Also looking to use it for the home VMC (everyone needs one, right?)

Added bonus is that it's so widespread there's a substantial support base of users and distributors for solving problems, writing custom posts, etc.

The 'X' generations of MasterCAM are pretty good, at least it runs entirely as Windows based now. v9 was a little ghetto. v6 was super ghetto. Couldn't even regenerate toolpaths... had to rewrite em all.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

+ Reply to Thread