+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Give me a job please!

Hello, I graduated with a 1st class honours degree in m(eng) automotive and motorsport engineering from City University, London. Am currently looking for a graduate job within the automotive/motorsport industry within the UK, has anyone got any tips, advice, vacancies?

thanks

Ian

Hello, I graduated with a 1st class honours degree in m(eng) automotive and motorsport engineering from City University, London. Am currently looking for a graduate job within the automotive/motorsport industry within the UK, has anyone got any tips, advice, vacancies?

thanks

Ian

Tips:
    -get experience, even if you have to volunteer.
    -pray to the racing gods that you get lucky.
    -network, network, network (it's not only what you know, but who you know).
    -get lucky.
    -profit.
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

Just an update for you, I was offered at the weekend a job at Red Bull Technology, AKA the Formula 1 team. I will be an aerodynamicist. So its possible to make that kinda step, it just takes patience!

how did you manage to get that?
    RiNaZ

Strong A levels, a first class Masters degree in Automotive Engineering and showing them I have the ability to learn all about the aero side of things.

Now just work a couple months straight of 20-24 hour work days, and make Absolutely Zero mistakes, because in anything f1 related, you get the boot in an instant for the slightest mistake.

Have fun and good luck!

That may well be true, but they gave the impression that they wanted long term commitent, in both directions. Whats the point in them training you for 6 months to remove you from employment, then start over again? It may be a fast moving world but they arent stupid. I have an uncle who used to be in the business for many years and ive never got any feeling from him that what you say is the case

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 95M3Racer:
    Now just work a couple months straight of 20-24 hour work days, and make Absolutely Zero mistakes, because in anything f1 related, you get the boot in an instant for the slightest mistake.

Have fun and good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so not true.
    Carleton FSAE Alumni
    Petty Enterprises Race Engineer

Its just what I've heard from some engineers over the last couple years.

If you are coming out of college with a bachelors, or even masters (from the US mind you, its a different story for euro's), you are going to be in an entry level position. They'll definitely want to groom you and make you into someone they can hold onto for a while...but there are 1000 other youngens who are just as smart, may times willing to work for less, so its a tough business. Its expensive to live over there, and you'll most likely be travelling a lot. Plus, I doubt they'd be paying very much for the first couple years...although, if you are travelling a lot, they'd probably pickup all your expenses, so it could work out...definitely would be a great experience either way.

I personally decided to distance myself from engineering, and move into business.

+ Reply to Thread