+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Placement

What thought process do most teams go through when attempting package the engine and drive train?

Note: We will using the spaceframe concept.
    SAE/FSAE President 05-06 Suspension Team Leader 06-07

I would say the proper strategy would be something like:

-establish some guess at target weight distribution, track, wheel base etc...
    -guesstimate the driver & engine location required
    -see what kind of suspension points you can fit without eliminating the driver and the engine
    -play with engine mounting, driver position, drivetrain placement and rough chassis layout

-iterate

The big issues to keep in mind with the engine are probably weight distribution, engine access (can you change the plugs? access your side covers? check your oil level? change your oil? how long will an engine swap take?) followed by things like are you going to catch your driver on fire? where will your radiator and fuel tank go? Will either of those catch on fire?

With the drivetrain the problems I've run into include things like CV angularity, sufficient chain wrap, and leaving room for pushrods / pull rods without having to resort to stupid amounts of offset..

Hope this helps...I'm sure others have plenty to add...

-Travis Garrison
    U of Washington FSAE '05
    Western Washington FSAE '04
    UW FSAE 05-06
    WWU FSAE 02-04

-see what kind of suspension points you can fit without eliminating the driver and the engine
    ya know, if you eliminated those components you could cut hella weight outa the equation
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Eliminating the driver in particular would also save the team a LOT of whining..."I can't fit" "I'm hitting my elbows on ____" "your spilling gas on me" "The seat is melting out from under me" .....babies.

-Travis Garrison
    U of Washington FSAE
    UW FSAE 05-06
    WWU FSAE 02-04

hehehe... Don't forget "I need ballast to keep up with Denny"
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

We get the "i turn the car on and hit the starter whenever i get in" from our big guys. It's like one fluid motion; somehow their knees are just that coordinated when they are lowering themselves into the seat.

Thanks for the advice. I have one more question. How much progress do you think most teams have made on there frame designs thus far?
    SAE/FSAE President 05-06 Suspension Team Leader 06-07

good god, please don't start that pigeon bull agian....
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

+ Reply to Thread